A “Kiss” worth telling about

The corner of 4th and Race streets is home to a quaint sushi bar that attracts anyone who enjoys fine Japanese cuisine without alcohol consumption limits – as long as you bring it, you can

The corner of 4th and Race streets is home to a quaint sushi bar that attracts anyone who enjoys fine Japanese cuisine without alcohol consumption limits – as long as you bring it, you can drink it.

Kisso Sushi Bar offers a relaxed and modest setting with wood furniture, mandarin-colored walls, numerous windows and few intimately placed tables. It is a pristine and eye-pleasing atmosphere with
welcoming service. Upon entrance, patrons are greeted with nothing but smiles.

If you decide to partake in alcohol-foolery, the waiter kindly takes the bottle to open and place in ice for you. For the full-fledged Japanese experience, bring Sake, though they have complementary offerings for those who ask.

No Sake for me – I chose a nice white wine like Savignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio to complement my meal.

The nearest liquor store to Kisso is on 2nd
and Market streets. The only thing better than sushi, is sushi buzzed.The food itself is something to rant about. Kisso Sushi Bar
is a place that the shy-diners might be
hesitant about.

“First timers [usually] go for a platter,
maybe a maki/sushi combination,” Chef Alex Park said.

Rest assured, Kisso offers the classic and ever-so-popular California roll as well as a bold and boastful number they like
to call the “Kisso Maki – Something Very
Special!” for those who like to live on the
edge a little. Intrigued? I was, too.

“BYOBs always concentrate on food, so the food has to be good,” Alex said. Sample one of their well-presented dishes, or “edible art,” whether it is the sushi, sashimi, eel or squid. Knowledgeable servers patiently accommodate those who are a little less sushi-savvy.

Though the items will cost you more than
average, it is cash well-spent. If you’re an aficionado of eating colorful things neatly packaged into a bite-sized roll, then this is your nirvana.

For a delectably good time with friends, or maybe even a first date (with someone who has a stomach for raw fish), then this is the spot for you. By your dinner’s end, you won’t help but want to give it a ‘Kisso.’

Kisso Sushi Bar
Japanese
205 N. 4th St.
(215) 922-1770
thesushibar.com