AC is closer than you think

So perhaps you’re headed to Atlantic City with hopes of winning big at the tables, or just to hang out on the beach for a weekend. Getting there is cheap and easy, making it a

So perhaps you’re headed to Atlantic City with hopes of winning big at the tables, or just to hang out on the beach for a weekend. Getting there is cheap and easy, making it a great getaway for Temple students.Take the New Jersey transit train into AC from the 30th Street Amtrak train station for only $7.25 for a one-way ticket. The train cars are clean and comfortable, and the hour and a half long trip is great for taking a nap or for catching up on reading. Reserved tickets aren’t needed, and passengers only need to arrive a few minutes early to buy a ticket at the machine.If you don’t arrive early enough to buy at the machine, tickets can be purchased on the train, but expect a $5 surcharge.If you have access to a car and friends willing to split gas money and toll fares, then driving might be easier. Get on 676 East, drive over the Ben Franklin Bridge and simply follow the signs to the AC Expressway.It’s about 60 miles from Philadelphia to AC and about an hour-long drive, except during the dreadful rush hour and nice beach days in the summer.The hassles of city driving are present in Atlantic City too, so public transportation is helpful for getting around. The Jitney mini buses will take you from the train station to the boardwalk area and from one end of Pacific Avenue to the other. They run 24 hours a day and cost $2 a ride.The Jitney buses help with getting around at night and can even take you to Ventnor, a beach town just south of Atlantic City with cleaner and less crowded beaches.The NJ Transit bus routes 500 to 559 are also accessible throughout the city.The beach and the casinos are calling, and now you know how to get there. Answer their call and get ready for a good time.Stu Jerue can be reached at stujerue@temple.edu.