Driving off the streets and into the showroom

Attendees and participants of the Philadelphia International Auto Show explain how car shows are an art form that everyone can enjoy. The Philadelphia International Auto Show takes art to new heights when it gives patrons

Attendees and participants of the Philadelphia International Auto Show explain how car shows are an art form that everyone can enjoy.

FEATURED.carshow_AE_2011feb1_ColinKerrigan-2
COLIN KERRIGAN TTN The Philadelphia International Auto Show, held at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, will be open to the public until Feb. 6. Adult tickets are $10 on the weekdays and $12 on the weekends. Children and senior citezens are $6.

The Philadelphia International Auto Show takes art to new heights when it gives patrons the chance to sit and experience the majestic sculptures people encounter every day.

The Pennsylvania Convention Center has been taken over by well-known artists: Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Land Rover, Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Maserati and Bentley, to name a few.

Sleek colors, huge rims and the fresh smell of new leather greeted every patron. Visitors got a chance to pop the trunks or the hoods of cars to see how many horses were packed behind each vehicle.

The event was swarmed with families, couples and friends as they explored the exhibition and were given the opportunity to see the same cars featured in movies and video games, such as “Gran Turismo.”

“I like car shows because I like cars and it’s a great place to meet girls,” student Brian Carter said. “It’s like an art gallery except with cars and you can actually touch the expensive things.”

Art is usually considered delicate, but the show allows those who aren’t too interested in fine paintings a chance to experience a new type of art gallery that allows people to not only look, but also touch.

Like any gallery, books and car experts were available to give further details on the automobiles displayed for those interested in possibly buying. Patrons discussed styles, engines, rims and types of seating in each car.

“Audi does a great job of capturing art in its designs,” Audi car dealer David Arena said. “That’s actually a part of [its] mission statement – [its] cars are to represent a form of art. Audi actually incorporates [its] designs with LED technology in art shows and also have artists create the designs for their cars like the Audi A7.”

“My dream job is to work for Audi design,” Arena added. “They do such a good job of capturing what makes a machine look like more than just metal pieces put together.”

Students and older couples meshed as they took pictures posing against cars and entered contests to either win a Mercedes Benz or a free iPad from AutoTrader.com.

“This game is a simulation of Auto Trader’s popular commercial where a man uses his heart to choose a car and a woman uses her brain,” Sofia Zmurkewycz, an AutoTrader.com representative, said. “People are able to play for free with a chance of winning an iPad at the end of the Auto Show if they attain the most points.”

On the upper level, the exotic cars were fenced in and surrounded by Jaguar, Audi, Land Rover and Porsche. People were able to get close but not close enough to touch or experience the inside of these cars.

“That’s the only down side – the cars you see in the videos are the cars you want to get a picture in but can’t,” Carter said.

Although for many, the exotics are what draw them out to the show, there are those who just want to experience the overall event.

“We come out every year for my son’s birthday,” visitor Judy McKeeman said. “The [Philadelphia International Auto Show] is its own tradition. We see the cars and go out to eat after. I like to see what’s new and how a specific car has improved. I have a Liberty and it’s interesting to see the slight changes they’ve made.”

Light refreshments were offered throughout the event and seating was available for rest. Posters were distributed to continue the car show fantasy at home.

The show will be open until Feb. 6. Adult tickets are $10 on the weekdays and $12 on the weekends; children and senior citizens are $6.

Alexandra Olivier can be reached at alexandra.olivier@temple.edu.