Fashion faves on Liacouras Walk

Jennifer Supplee: Law student Jennifer Supplee, a woman who never wears less than two-inch heels, easily tops my list of Temple’s best dressed. Her personal style mantra – to never sacrifice classiness for sexiness –

Jennifer Supplee:

Law student Jennifer Supplee, a woman who never wears less than two-inch heels, easily tops my list of Temple’s best dressed. Her personal style mantra – to never sacrifice classiness for sexiness – makes her even more fabulous
in my book.

Although she became interested in fashion late in the game, Supplee definitely made up for lost time. Her passion for fashion began with shoes. Due to restrictions by her high school’s dress code, Supplee’s only outlet for expression was through her shoes. Today she owns more than 200 pairs and an entire closet is devoted to heels.

“During my undergrad, I learned to walk in heels on cobblestone and brick on Locust Walk [in University City],” Supplee said. “But back in the day, I was really into [Air] Jordans because I rode a lot of public transportation.”

From sneakers to heels to clothing, Supplee has her own distinct sense of style. She loves classic looks like sundresses and peep-toe pumps, but also succumbs to trends with skinny jeans, big belts and heels. Supplee even has a muse for each aspect of her fashion persona. For her wilder side, Supplee sees herself as Naomi Campbell.

“I remember seeing a picture of her doing community service in heels,” Supplee said. “It looked crazy to everyone else, but I got it.”

As for her more conservative side, Jen draws inspiration from Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

“More and more revealing looks are becoming mainstream, but Jackie O. always kept it classy, even while testing the limits of what was acceptable,” Supplee said. And like her style icon, Supplee stressed dressing well every day.

“When you go to class, you are in front of your professors and colleagues, and it’s important to remember that college is a professional setting,” she said. “On your worst days and your best days, you are a representation of yourself.”

Supplee admitted her nighttime outfits tend to be a little more risqué, but quickly emphasized that a great evening look doesn’t have to show skin.

“You can be sexy and covered up,” she said. “What’s sexy is what fits your figure, and that has nothing to do with showing
thigh or cleavage.”

Phill Forbes:

“The popped collar is so over,” said sophomore biochemistry major Phill Forbes. “I heard people working at Hollister aren’t even allowed to do it anymore.”

He and I are in agreement: popped collars are lame. But other than a couple fashion no-no’s, Forbes has very few rules and a laid-back, easygoing style.

Forbes’ true love in fashion is jeans, and he insisted that you can’t buy just any old pair.

“You have to find the pair and the style that really complement your assets,” he said. “I have personally always gravitated to certain styles from H&M and Guess.”

Forbes’ favorite style is boot-cut, and he is particular about reserving light washes for daytime and dark ones for the evening.

Even though jeans are his first fashion love, his single favorite item from his closet is a gray J. Crew cashmere sweater.

“What’s not to love?” he said. “It’s so comfortable.” Forbes describes his style as classic, but he leans toward preppy
styles and is always willing to throw a curveball.

“I love to wear stuff like a lime green polo every now and then, just to keep it fresh and maybe get some extra attention at the club,” he said. “I’m pretty conservative with my look, but I like to take a few risks from time to time.”

So it makes sense that Forbes calls Kanye West his fashion icon.

“He has this unique way of putting stuff together and a style that is totally his own,” Forbes said. “He is really into colors and matching and I love that.” Tonight, Forbes is on his way out to Woody’s, a popular downtown club, and opted for his favorite cashmere sweater over a button-down, pinstriped shirt and worn-looking Abercrombie jeans.

The twist: whiter-than-white Adidas three-striped sneakers. Kanye would approve.

Mary C. Schell can be reached at mary.schell@temple.edu.