Musical actions create change in community

The Resolve Tour, brought to Tree House Books by Temple’s Invisible Children, brings awareness. Temple’s Invisible Children organization has teamed up with Resolve, a nonprofit advocacy group whose mission is to stop the Lord’s Resistance

The Resolve Tour, brought to Tree House Books by Temple’s Invisible Children, brings awareness.

Temple’s Invisible Children organization has teamed up with Resolve, a nonprofit advocacy group whose mission is to stop the Lord’s Resistance Army in Uganda.

Resolve is hitting the road for the Resolve Tour, featuring former Temple artist and activist Koji, on a 10-week tour visiting more than 30 states to spread awareness. Today, the Resolve Tour will visit Tree House Books, located at 1430 W. Susquehanna Ave. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the event starts at 7 p.m. Admission is $5 for Temple students and $7 for non-students.

The Resolve Tour will present music, film and activism in a way that’s different from other activist meetings.

“Brian, a representative from Resolve, shows a video clip and discusses his personal story about his passion for advocating against the LRA,” said Whitney DiTaranto, the vice president of Temple Invisible Children. “Then, Koji and some other local artists sing, followed by the majority of people’s favorite part – discussion.”

This is not only an opportunity for people to come out and learn more about what Resolve does and the pressing issues in Africa, but the event also focuses on issues affecting the community.

The motto for the Resolve Tour is to “connect, collaborate [and] create change.”

The discussion part of the event is a time for people to speak out on the issues affecting one’s community.

“Community is the main theme here,” Koji said. “We as individuals have value, and bringing people together to get loud on an issue brings about answers.”

This event is a time for people to connect with one another, presents opportunities to collaborate on future projects and ultimately make change.

When touring Arkansas, Koji mentioned how two individuals, who were working on separate homelessness projects, met at the event during the discussion part and now have embarked on a bigger project together.

“This is what the Resolve Tour provides – a place where people are meeting, connecting and starting new projects,” he said.” It’s a place for everyone – artist, activist or anyone. ”

As a Temple alumnus, Koji said he is excited to be back in Philly and to perform. He relates to his audience by singing about relevant issues that his generation faces and discusses how the issues Resolve advocates for relate to the underlying message in his music – the value of human life.

“Everyone can relate to this issue,” Koji said. “I talk about the type of person one is or wants to be and what’s that person’s mark in the world.”

Koji said he gives all the credit to his family for showing him how to have empathy and compassion for the world, which ultimately gives him the courage to go out and spread awareness.

Alise Hammond can be reached at alise.hammond@temple.edu.