Scouting sweet treats

The only mushy aspect of my Valentine’s Day is going to be moist cake and icing blending together in my mouth. Despite your feelings on the “big V,” I think we can all get behind

The only mushy aspect of my Valentine’s Day is going to be moist cake and icing blending together in my mouth. Despite your feelings on the “big V,” I think we can all get behind an excuse to eat sweets. Whether you chose to feed it to your beau while listening to Marvin Gaye, sob into it while watching “Beaches” at your solo pity party or eat it because it’s Feb. 14 and you feel like treating yo’self right regardless of whatever fat babies with weapons are buzzing around – here’s the deal on where to find your sugar-fix in Philadelphia.

Sweet Freedom, 1424 south st., flyingmonkeyphilly.com

Totally vegan cupcakes for those interested in healthy indulgences. Not only are they dairy-free, casein-free, egg-free and gluten-free but they also utilize only natural ingredients. The one thing they’re not free of: taste.

Brown Betty, 1030 N. 2nd St., brownbettydesserts.com

These are skip-your-lunch, real deal, big mama cupcakes, best enjoyed at the beginning of the day while they’re fresh. Though the primary location is in Northern Liberties, Brown Betty Petities can be found at Liberty Place in Center City and on South 20th Street, near Rittenhouse Square. The pineapple pound cake is worth writing home about, though with the flavors rotating daily, you might have to make a few trips there to catch it.

Philly Cupcake, 1132 Chestnut St., phillycupcake.com

The outrageously dressed storefront mannequin will draw you in – the cupcakes will make you stay. With a daily flavor list a mile long and curio cabinets housing rows of beautifully decorated cakes, this place is candy for the eyes and the mouth. The Jewish apple streusel cupcake would suit Granny, while those with a more adventurous sweet tooth might pursue The Coma or The Massacre.

Whipped, 636 Belgrade St., whippedbakeshop.com

Whipped Bakeshop snatched up the Best of Philly award in the cupcake category, but you can be the judge of that. Expect the traditional flavors done to perfection and decadent flavors including chocolate truffle and pumpkin spice.

-Caitlin Weigel