Street Sounds: Bright and Early

The five members of Bright and Early were scattered throughout the Philadelphia and New Jersey band scenes before they came together in November 2009.
“After a few member changes, headaches and all nighters, we made an EP,” lead guitarist, Pete Delgais said. “The ball is finally rolling.”

bright_and_early_paper
Courtesy Bright and Early Bright and Early from left to right is Mike Kelly, Pete Delgais, Matt Welsh and John Browne.

The other members of Bright and Early include Matt Welsh on drums, John Browne on vocals and guitar and Mike Kelly on bass.

The pop-punk band is making its Philly debut this Saturday at the Barbary in Fishtown. Delgais said the band members are excited to play the small, intimate venue.
“It’s the way a rock show should be,” he said.

Inspired by R. Kelly and Cannibal Corpse, the band bangs out dance-worthy and catchy songs like “Something Personal,” from its soon-to-be-released EP.

“For the most part, we just get together and work out ideas, bounce things off of each other, and what transpires is usually a palpable mixture of our greatest influences,” Delgais said. “We strive to have a unique sound, but ultimately we’re just trying to rock out.”

A typical practice includes lots of brainstorming and jamming to Queen, members said. Their favorite song to play is Kansas’s “Carry On My Wayward Son.”

Bright and Early is not signed to a label as of yet, but this summer it will release its EP, Louder Than Words, and hit the road on tour.

Bright and Early is playing with Sparks the Rescue and The Morning Of at the Barbary.

“The raw energy of a loud amp and an excited crowd is enough for all of us,” Delgais said. “[Playing live] is like drug we’re all hooked on.”

Melanie Menkevich can be reached at melanie.menkevich@temple.edu.