Street Sounds: The Summer Set

“We’re never going to be as young as we are tonight,” said Brian Dales, the lead singer of The Summer Set while backstage at the band’s gig in First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia. The self-described

Courtesy The Summer Set

“We’re never going to be as young as we are tonight,” said Brian Dales, the lead singer of The Summer Set while backstage at the band’s gig in First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia. The self-described “rock-‘n’-roll-pop” group also consists of band members Stephen Gomez on bass, John Gomez on guitar and back-up vocals, Josh Montgomery on guitar and Jess Bowen on drums. Although its members may be young, the Scottsdale, Ariz., based band is jam-packed with talent that made the crowded church basement burst with energy and enthusiasm.

The Temple News: How did your band get started?
Brian Dales: We started the first two-and-a-half years as a band really young and got signed to a horrible record deal. We had a friend as a manager early on, and we made a lot of mistakes in the early years of The Summer Set. I don’t regret any of it, however, as a lot of bands seem to get stuff handed to them. We did everything on our own, had to work and were able to learn from our mistakes and become the people we are now.

TTN: What makes your band unlike all the other pop-punk bands out there?
BD: We’re slowly doing whatever we want to. We try to be as real as possible.
Jess Bowen: During one of our songs throughout our tour, we’ve been coming out in the crowd, turning off our microphones and are going to be as close to the audience as possible.

TTN: The Summer Set has toured with some great artists, including The Cab and Every Avenue. Of all the artists you’ve toured with or met, which is your favorite?
BD: Touring with Cartel was way too fun. We also loved touring with The Cab multiple times, and they’ve become as close as brothers.

TTN: The band has toured all over the country, but what are some of your favorite things about Philadelphia and its music scene?
JB: The Philly cheesesteaks. I recently am no longer a vegetarian, so I was finally able to eat one.
BD: I was able to eat a vegan cheesesteak that was really good. I [also] like historic buildings like the First Unitarian Church and others built in the 1700s. It’s cool to play in buildings that have been around for so long.

TTN: The Summer Set recently re-released “Love Like This,” re-titled it “Love Like Swift” and included five covers of Taylor Swift songs. What do you guys like about Taylor Swift?
BD:
Everything. She is so real and honest and a pop artist that writes her own songs. Not to knock Katy Perry because I love her, but pop stars like Kesha and Katy Perry are trying so hard to be bad girls. Taylor Swift is one of the few good girls.

TTN: What artist would you like to hear cover your music?
BD:
Definitely Taylor Swift. We’ve become pretty close to some of the guys of Matchbox 20, so it would be pretty awesome to hear them perform one of our songs.

TTN: Have you ever heard anyone cover your songs?
JB:
People online send me links to their covers, sometimes. Some are really good, including one of our songs “Papercut.”

TTN: What are some of your plans for the band’s future?
BD:
We have a new record coming out this summer. We’ll also be doing a lot more touring and hope to go overseas.”

Danielle Miess can be reached at danielle.miess@temple.edu.