The 15 best student artists:Justin Foley

Fifteen artists were chosen to share their stories in our special issue, created to showcase some of Temple’s most passionate and creative on-campus talent.

(Sabrina Jacott/TTN)

Year: Senior
Major: Painting

A quick lick of guitar strings by smooth moving fingers is followed by a slow, easy-going strumming pattern. This is the sound of Justin Foley.

Foley is a transfer sophomore student, majoring in film and media arts. He hails from Macungie, Pa. During his first year at Temple, he made quite an impression with his music’s acoustic sounds.

Foley frequently performs during events at Saxbys Coffee and the Temple Hillel House. He has also played at the biweekly open mics at Saladworks located on the University of Pennsylvania’s campus.

Foley said his biggest influences are Sublime, Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, State Radio, Dispatch and the Decemberists. He’s also inspired by classic artists Steely Dan and Van Morrison.

What are most memorable to any person who listens to Foley are his performances. He belts out a strong and soulful voice. Despite his exciting performances, Foley said he has experienced stage fright.

Much like his varied musical tastes, Foley’s set lists are often composed of a complex mix of original and cover songs.

“Hell or Highwater,” an original song, begins with an impressive and unforgettable riff.

The smooth transitioning of his version of Van Morrison’s “Domino” is often accompanied by his friend Corey Abramson, a sophomore BTMM major.

Foley also plays an acoustic version of Snoop Dogg’s “Gin and Juice.”

He plans on recording a demo of his new and old material. He is also planning to record his version of “Gin and Juice” with Saladworks open mic host Lee G.

Though he spends most of his time working toward his film career, Foley would also like to establish a music career.

“I may still want to make music as a career,” he said, “but with or without the fame that may come with it, I still plan on playing.”

For those interested in finding out more about Foley and his music, check out his page on MySpace, Facebook and ReverbNation at reverbnation.com/justinfoley.

Stephen Kimmerly can be reached at stephen.kimmerly@temple.edu.