Thinking, talking dirty at Valanni

Sure, you’ve played trivia games before. You’ve debated with your friends over what year the musical, “Grease” came out and who the Philadelphia Eagles lost to in Super bowl XV. It might be easy to

Sure, you’ve played trivia games before. You’ve debated with your friends over what year the musical, “Grease” came out and who the Philadelphia Eagles lost to in Super bowl XV.

It might be easy to remember these facts off the top of your head, but add a couple beers to the mix and it’s not so simple.

That’s part of the reason why “Kinky Quizzo,” a naughty twist to the usual game, is so much fun – the questions are just as challenging as they are entertaining.

Every Tuesday, “Kinky Quizzo” is held at Valanni Restaurant and Bar at 1229 Spruce St., and as soon as 11 p.m. rolls around, Jen Karwoski picks up the microphone and begins the show.

The event consists of three rounds, each has 10 sex-related questions. Then there is a “Double Joker Box,” in which teams can receive double points during a round they think they did particularly well in.

“It began at a bar called The Post. The owner of XOXO Unlimited, which runs Kinky Quizzo, contacted me and asked me to be a part of the team. I’ve been doing this at Valanni for about a year and half now,” Karwoski said.

At Valanni, there is a contest between the second and third rounds. Teams can compete for a $20 gift certificate to the restaurant to be used that following Tuesday.

First, second and third places all take 9home prizes as well as the team that comes up with the best team name. And yes, they are unisex prizes.

One particular night, first place took home a variety of prizes ranging from a vibrator
to a scandalous adult game. Second place walked away with a foul-mouthed talking bottle opener and Sinful Desires Naughty Dream Cream. Third place was awarded a “dickie” charm bracelet and an edible thong.

Valanni is a fairly small bar, with only about 20 barstools available. But there is plenty of table space.

Its bar has a great selection of liquors and bottled beer, and their martini list has everything from a Peachytini (Absolut Citron, Triple Sec, Sour Mix and White Cranberry) to a Ruby Red Slipper (Absolut Ruby Red, Triple Sec, Splash of Sour Mix and Cranberry).

“They’re good to me here,” Karwoski said. “They let me theme each week. My boss, Dawn D’Amico, sends me the questions and I’ll slant them to fit the theme. Today is ‘International Talk like a Pirate Day,’ so expect some pirate questions in the mix tonight,” Karwoski said with a smile.

Questions posed that night ranged from, “What is a butt pirate?” to “What exactly are you calling a female when you call her a dirty pirate hooker?”

And the final question of the night, “In the alternative sex world, what is a dirty pirate?”

“It’s a good time here. We do usually get a good crowd on Tuesday’s for Quizzo. People are leaving happy by the end of the night,” said Laurentiu Muras, Valanni’s bartender.

“I would definitely come back,” said first-timer Ali Fehn. “And I definitely recommend the Ruby Red Slipper – it’s so good.”

For a fun date, Valanni is a great alternate to a movie or club and definitely an icebreaker. You might be surprised what you learn about each other. The questions can stump even the dirtiest minds. Don’t believe it? Check it out this Tuesday.

Elizabeth Darraugh can be reached at darraugh@temple.edu.