TV appearance, Grammy nod beef up band’s fame

When the guitars are finally tuned, the drum kit is set and the microphone sits by its lonely self on stage, only one band can take these simple instruments and play them to their breaking

When the guitars are finally tuned, the drum kit is set and the microphone sits by its lonely self on stage, only one band can take these simple instruments and play them to their breaking points – Lamb of God. Currently sitting on top of the metal scene, Lamb of God is notorious for their aggressive shows and their ability to make some of the hardest heavy metal music known to man.

During the last few months L.O.G. has busted out of the underground metal scene, bringing its extreme sound to the mainstream. The band was nominated for Best Metal Performance at the 2007 Grammy Awards and made an appearance on “Late Night with Conan O’Brian.”

“It was probably more nerve-wracking than playing any other show,” guitarist Willie Adler said, referring to the band’s Feb. 9 performance on Conan. “It was hard because we played in front of an audience that would never come see you, or never want to see you in the first place.

“It definitely helped the metal community having a band like us playing in front of millions of people on national TV,” he said. “I mean Slipknot’s done it; Mastodon has done it, now we’ve done it, and so it says a lot for our music and our scene.”

On Feb. 12 Adler and his band members Chris Adler, Mark Morton and John Campbell stored their typical attire of black shirts and camouflage shorts in their closets, and put on black on black suits for their first attendance at the Grammy Awards. The band shared the Best Metal Performance nomination list with Ministry, Mastodon, Stone Sour and Slayer, equaling to one of the best metal representations in years (good thing Metallica didn’t release an album this year).

“When we heard about the nomination we were kind of shocked and flattered all at the same time,” Adler said. “It definitely wasn’t something we set out to do, but it was a lot of fun. One percent of my being thought we could win this. It never really seemed like a real possibility but I guess a little part of me was hoping that we might.”

The award ended up going to metal legends Slayer, but when asked if he felt the nomination would affect the band’s metal reputation, Adler gave a very blunt answer.

“I don’t give a s–t. If somebody wants to say something bad about us because we got nominated for a Grammy, then whatever. I personally don’t care,” he said.

In 2005, LOG released the music DVD “Killadelphia,” which documented the band’s life on tour and included full coverage of L.O.G.’s performance at the Trocadero. With the band coming back to town, “Killadelphia” fans are anxious to show the band that they live up to their name. Adler assured them a great show.

“We might pull out some new songs we’ve never played before just for our Philly fans,” he said. “Probably some songs off of the “Sacrament” [album] that we haven’t played live yet. They know we’ll give them a good show.”

Dan Cappello can be reached at dancaps@temple.edu.

Lamb of God
Electric Factory
March 23, 7:30 p.m.