Under the radar

The Ghosts Among Our Graves: A Paranormal Investigation of Laurel Hill / Oct. 8 / 6 p.m. /$30 general, $25 student / Laurel Hill Cemetery, 3822 Ridge Ave. /thelaurelhillcemetery.org Take a walk on the scary

The Ghosts Among Our Graves: A Paranormal Investigation of Laurel Hill / Oct. 8 / 6 p.m. /$30 general, $25 student / Laurel Hill Cemetery, 3822 Ridge Ave. /thelaurelhillcemetery.org

Take a walk on the scary side and join Free Spirit Paranormal Investigators as they reveal their chilling findings of Laurel Hill’s haunted history. Participants will have the opportunity to learn the basics of ghost hunting, as well as types of hauntings, equipment, space weather and psychic protection. Then, step into the shoes of a paranormal investigator and join the FSPI members as attendees get led on a real investigation through Laurel Hill’s most active areas. For someone who wasn’t a believer of the paranormal before, this program could change that. And with Halloween approaching, it’s the perfect chance to lift spirits–or perhaps the spirits of those six feet under. Wine and cheese will be served at the end of the program, for the sophisticated and legal crowd. Advanced registration is required. It’ll be one interesting and spooky night worth spending a few bucks on.

First Person Arts StorySlams: Close Calls / Oct. 10 / 8:30 p.m. / $10 / World Cafe Live, 3025 Walnut St. / firstpersonarts.org

Do you have a story to tell? Here’s your chance. StorySlams are the perfect way to share a little bit about your life with everyone else. Here’s how it works: Members of the audience become storytellers and share true stories from their lives based on the night’s theme, in this case: “Close Calls.” Ten people are chosen at random from those that sign up. Each storyteller has just five minutes on the mic to impress the crowd with their story. Audience members are also chosen to judge each performer on a 10-point scale. The best storyteller wins the golden ticket–a chance to compete in the Grand Slam. Performers in the Grand Slam will compete with other top storytellers for the honorable title of “Best Storyteller in Philadelphia.” Sounds pretty awesome, right? If you have a story to tell, sign up at the door. As if you won’t be enjoying the night already, there will be $3 Yuengling draft specials. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., slam begins at 8:30 p.m.

35th Annual Russian Festival / Oct. 7-9 / Friday: 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Saturday: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., Sunday: noon – 4 p.m. / FREE / Saint Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church, 335 Fairmount Ave. / saintmichaelsroc.org

Music, food, arts and the faith of Old Russia–it’s free, fun and attendees don’t even have to be Russian to enjoy the event. Come out and try traditional ethnic foods, Russian tea and sweets, homemade pastries and breads, and enjoy live entertainment featuring Russian folk music and a performance by St. Michael’s Youth Dancers. Explore the church and learn about Old Russian imports, including dolls, decorated eggs, historic books, art and much more. This free, three-day event is perfect for anyone. Bring friends and invite family. Even if you just go for the food, you’re bound to see something that catches your eye. So, get out of your little apartment or dorm room and let some new culture into your life.

Improv Comedy: The N Crowd / Oct. 7 / 8 p.m. /$10 online, $15 at the door / 257 N. Third St. / phillyncrowd.com

Grab some friends and head to the Actors Center for a night of laughs with The N Crowd. The short-form improv comedy troupe has been entertaining Philly folk since 2005 with a different show every week. They perform improv based on suggestions from the audience, so have a few obnoxious ideas in mind to yell out. What’s better than watching people make fools of themselves on command? Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and tickets sell out fast. Lay off the books and the booze for a night and engage yourself in some legal fun with The N Crowd.

Shauna Bannan can be reached at shauna.bannan@temple.edu.