Under the radar

Taste of Philly Food Tour / Nov. 5 / 10 a.m. / $15.95 / Reading Terminal Market – 12th and Filbert streets / tasteofphillyfoodtour.com Loosen those belt buckles and join this tasty tour at the

Taste of Philly Food Tour / Nov. 5 / 10 a.m. / $15.95 / Reading Terminal Market – 12th and Filbert streets / tasteofphillyfoodtour.com

Loosen those belt buckles and join this tasty tour at the Reading Terminal Market. Often led by food writer Carolyn Wyman, attendees will be taken on a tour through the famous market to learn the story behind some of Philadelphia’s most illustrious foods including pretzels, sticky buns, scrapple, hoagies, cheesesteaks and more. Food samplings, historic facts and a “Philly Insider Eats Sheet” listing the most notable local restaurants will be included in this 75-minute tour of the market. Watch pretzels get twisted, learn the proper way to order a cheesesteak and find out what was really on George Washington’s mind. The tour departs from the information desk at the market at 10 a.m. and advanced registration is required. Check out the website for tips on ordering tickets.

The Mütter Museum / Open every day / 10 a.m. – 5p.m. / General $14, Students with ID $10 / 19 S. 22nd St. / collphyphil.org/Site/mutter_museum.html

No bones about it, the Mütter Museum is one of the most bizarre and strange attractions in Philadelphia. The museum features a collection of anatomical and pathological oddities, wax models, diseased organs and antique medical equipment. Viewers can examine an assortment of skulls, including those of robbers, prostitutes and victims of violence. Wax models of untreated head and skin conditions are also on display. If that’s not enough to keep your head spinning, compare the skeletons of a giant and a dwarf. Oh, and don’t forget to check out the nine-foot-long human colon and the corpse of a woman that turned into soap on your way out. The museum is open seven days a week, so pick the date and be prepared for this mind-boggling experience.

World Culture Day: Travel the World with Games / Nov. 6 / 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. / Adults $10, Students with ID $6 / 3260 South Street / penn.museum/index.php

It’s game day at the Penn Museum. Join in on the fun and play and learn about games from around the world. Discover the culture behind classic games like chess, originally from India, and backgammon, a favorite of Asia Minor. Engage in the action and compete in others, including the games of Go, Senet, Mancala, the Royal Game of Ur and many more. Take a break from the competition at 3 p.m. and gaze at a domino show built by the “Super Domino Brothers” Mike and Steve Perrucci. Using their own handmade pieces, these guys will set off a trail of 10,000 various colored dominoes. Nearly 15 hours of laborious work will topple in a matter of minutes.

Just Dance: Lady Gaga Hip-Hop Workshop / Nov. 3 / 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. / $12 in advance, $15 at the door / The Performance Garage – 1515 Brandywine Street / phillydancefitness.com/news/just-dance-lady-gaga-hip-hop-workshop

Halloween is done, but who cares? Break out your inner Gaga and dress up in your most flattering meat outfit for this hip-hop workshop. Featuring the greatest hits of Lady Gaga, participants will move to the groove with two of Philadelphia’s Dance Fitness instructors during 90 minutes of nonstop cardio routines. Kimberly Dolan-Hess, with more than 20 years of dance experience and training under the same choreographers who taught Justin Timberlake and the stars of “So You Think You Can Dance,” will team up with Deborah Hirsch, a “dance addict,” owner and president of Philly Dance Fitness. Together, they will bring the spirit of Gaga to the dance floor of the Performance Garage. They’ll also include a break down of the choreography from the music video “Judas.” No dance experience is necessary, so any “little monster” can take part. Sign up early to reserve a spot and don’t forget to wear your Gaga garb–prizes will be awarded to the best dressed.

Shauna Bannan can be reached at shauna.bannan@temple.edu.

2 Comments

1. I just moved to the US and I’m having trouble finding international and national news merged into one show. I just want the traditional news where the anchor reads the introduction, he/she talks about it, a video is shown and she just moves onto the next story.

I dont’ want a discussion show, just traditional news 🙂 Thank you. Please tell me what channel the show is on and what time as well as the timezone you’re referring to. Thank you!

2. I’ve seen many that assert that the media is biased against Sen. Clinton because now there is only positive news about the Obama campaign and negative news about the Clinton campaign. Please tell me some positive news about the Clinton campaign that is going unreported.