Under the Radar: Story Slam, Vintage Flea Market, 7 Up on Camp, Rony Seikaly

Under the Radar for the week of Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013.

First Person Arts Story Slam: Danger
Feb. 26
Doors 7:30 p.m., event begins at 8:30 p.m.
L’Etage, 624 S. Sixth St., above Creperie Beaumonde
$10
21+

Head to L’Etage in South Philadelphia for a good laugh and a fun time at First Person Arts Story Slam.

Story slams are just like poetry slams, but instead of poetry being recited, people tell a story. At L’Etage, members of the audience who are brave enough put their name in a hat at the door are randomly selected throughout the night. If their name is drawn, they have to go up on stage and tell a story. The story theme changes at each slam, so every time the stories are new and fresh. Some themes done in the past were “ex-files,” “naughty or nice,” “back to school” and “do the right thing.”

Karina Kacala is the marketing manager at First Person Arts, and she helps organize the story slams.

“The story slam idea started about seven years ago,” Kacala said. “We’ve more than doubled the number of slams each year. They were so popular and successful, so we made them monthly. In 2010, we doubled that. They started at L’Etage, now we also do them at World Cafe Live.”

The biggest challenge of a story slam is telling a story in only five minutes and making it up on the spot. The audience members don’t know if their name will be drawn, so once it is, they have to be prepared to tell a quick story that the audience will like.

“Five minutes is an adequate amount of time. Sometimes the stories are shorter, sometimes they are longer,” Kacala said. “Part of the challenge is crafting the story to be approximately five minutes. Some people have done six or maybe even seven-minute stories. But that’s part of the challenge – telling the beginning, middle and end within five minutes.”

Just like poetry slams, there is a competition aspect to the story slams. The prize for winning the story slam at L’Etage or World Cafe Live is a spot in the finals at the grand slam in May. A fun aspect about the competition is the judges are randomly chosen audience members, so the storytellers need to cater to a diverse group of people. The storytellers are judged on content and presentation.

The story slam is a great way to kick back and have a laugh with friends or family. Although the story slams at L’Etage are 21-plus, slams at World Cafe Live are for all ages.

“[We get] a lot of 20 and 30-somethings,” Kacala said. “There are usually a lot of students at World Cafe Live. A lot of people come on dates. It’s a great date idea.”

Spring Garden Indoor Antique and Vintage Flea Market
Mar. 2
8 A.M. – 4 P.M.
Former FedEx Service Center
820 Spring Garden St.
Free

When was the last time you bought some vintage jewelry or clothing? This flea market will feature more than 50 vendors from across the Tri-State Area showing off antique furniture, glassware, pottery and more. The admission is free, and so is parking.

7 Up on Camp
Feb. 28
6 p.m.
University of Pennsylvania Kelly Writer’s House
3805 Locust Walk
Free

This program is a discussion with a twist. Seven guests are invited to speak about a certain topic for seven minutes and give their opinions on the chosen theme.

Rony Seikaly
Feb. 28 – Mar. 1
10 P.M. – 3 A.M.
Zee Bar
100 Spring Garden St.
$15–$20
21+

Enjoy the beats of The Spin Doctor, a former NBA star turned DJ. Rony Seikaly will be spinning at Zee Bar while the Absolut Greyhound Dancers perform. This is the perfect way to take a break from schoolwork and release some steam with a night of dancing and letting loose.