Under The Radar: The N Crowd, GO WEST!, Meditation, A Love Letter For You

The N Crowd, GO WEST!, Meditation, A Love Letter For You

Improv Comedy: The N Crowd
Friday, Sept. 28
Every Friday through Dec. 21
8 p.m.
$15
Actors Center
257 N. Third St.

Did you spend the majority of your childhood glued to the TV watching “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” Keeling over with laughter at the comedic stylings of Wayne Brady and Colin Mochrie? Well, now’s the chance to experience something close to it in reality by seeing Improv Comedy: The N Crowd. The entire show is based upon suggestions from the audience, making each show completely different from the last. So come prepared with ridiculous things to yell and shout when asked. This group has been around since 2005 and has performed more than 300 shows in all parts of Philly, including the Philadelphia Improv Festival and the Philly Fringe Festival to name a few. Philadelphia Style magazine has called this “Philadelphia’s premier improv comedy troupe,” and in 2012, the group was named the Best Comedy Club. So bring a pal and be prepared to laugh for 80 minutes at completely unscripted comedy.

GO WEST! Craft Fest
Saturday, Sept. 29
11 a.m.–5 p.m.
Free
The Woodlands
400 Woodland Ave.

Enjoy original arts and crafts, live music, food and fun at the GO WEST! Craft Fest. This year will showcase a number of original artwork, hand-constructed and upcycled clothing, candles, knitwear, ceramics and much more from more than 50 vendors from the Philadelphia region. All purchases support local and independent small businesses. There will be four different performers, beginning at noon. The bands will be performing bluegrass, jazz and world music. There will also be performances of aerial flights from Tangle’s Tiny Circus. The food will include Black Orchid Food’s vegan specialties and West Philly’s award-winning Lil’ Pop Shop. Along with the crafts, food, and fun, you’ll be able to briefly step away from the concrete jungle. The Woodland’s, a historical landscape, is on 54 wooded acres accompanied with an 18th century mansion, gardens, historically significant trees and an apiary. The festivities will take place in the main entrance along Woodland Avenue. The rain date is on Sunday, Sept. 30.

Free Meditation Class
Monday, Oct. 1
7 p.m.–8 p.m.
Free
Library of Philadelphia — Philadelphia City Institute
1905 Locust Street

Do you ever feel like you need a break? Meditation is a great way to seek out that relaxation that you need. Heal your mind, body and soul through this free mediation class. This one hour session, which is the third in its series, will focus on “The Medicine of Forgiveness: Learning to Let Go.” This will be offered at the Philadelphia City Institute on Rittenhouse Square and led by Gen Kelsang Tenzin, who is a resident teacher of the Amitayus Kadampa Buddhist Center, a non-profit organization holding classes throughout the city. The organization was founded by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, a Buddhist master. Its aim is to integrate spiritual understanding into its participants’ and students’ daily lives. According to the organization’s website, meditation is a method to acquaint people’s minds with causes of happiness. If you can’t make this session, check the website for upcoming events. You don’t have to practice Buddhism to join the event and no registration is required.

A Love Letter For You Mural Tours
Ongoing every Saturday, 10 a.m.–11:30 a.m. and Sunday 1 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
$17
Mural Arts at the Gallery
901 Market St., level 2

Created during the summer of 2009 by Stephen Powers, a West Philadelphia native, A Love Letter For You is a series of more than 50 rooftop murals around the West Philly and Market Street corridor. On this tour, take a trip on the Market/Frankford El along with a Mural Arts Program tour guide to learn about the history of the art and famous project. The story is about a boy who falls in love with a girl who wants nothing to do with him, but upon finding out she was employed by SEPTA and rides the train every day, he created love letters above the SEPTA rails for her to read. The project has received praise both internationally and nationally. It has also gotten acclaim in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and on PBS. Powell describes the project as his “chance to put something on these rooftops that people would care about.” The tour starts at the LOVE Park Visitor Center located at 16th Street and JFK Boulevard.