Under The Radar: Underground Railroad, Vintage Flea Market, Mary Wilson Supremes Collection, Broadway Cabaret

Under The Radar for the week of Tuesday February 19, 2013

The Underground Railroad Through the Eyes and Art of Jerry Pinkney
February 24
1 P.M.
Sixth & Market Streets
Free
An interesting and educational way to experience Black History Month, this event showcases the Underground Railroad artwork of renowned artist Jerry Pinkney. The show is presented by the National Park Service and coordinated by Bill Caughlan. Pinkney will be conducting a talk for those interested in learning more about his art.

The National Park Service, the organization presenting the event, was established in 1948. It provides a wide variety of services for the community, “maintenance and interpretation of independence hall including monuments such as the Liberty Bell,” said Adam Duncan, chief historian for the National Park Service.

Caughlan first had the idea to do this event at the end of last year.

“In December I was tasked with coming up with ideas for Black History Month this February. We would be rolling out Underground Railroad trading cards for the kids, so I wanted to do an Underground Railroad theme,” Caughlan said.

He chose Pinkney as the focus for the event when he found out Pinkney would be at a symposium in Philadelphia this month for the Friends of Independence.

Caughlan said, “[This is a] unique opportunity, we don’t often get to see someone who does this type of work and how they maintain historical accuracy.”

However, when organizing this event, one obstacle occurred. If you Google Pinkney’s images, “There aren’t too many online,” Caughlan said. Pinkney does not digitize his images, rather, he chooses to keep them on slides for the best portrayal of his artwork. In order to keep this event up, Caughlan had to search the storage for the remaining old-fashioned carousel for Pinkney’s images. This aspect will bring the most powerful view to these images of strong African-American men women and children during their strive to freedom.

Caughlan said he is most interested in “seeing the program and meeting Jerry himself” as well as “finding out how Jerry does what he does.”

Spring Garden Indoor Antique & Vintage Flea Market
February 23rd
8 A.M. – 4 P.M.
820 Spring Garden Street
Free

Come browse over 60 vendors from the tri-state area at this large community flea market. The items include antiques and collectibles, furniture and pottery, jewelry and clothing. It offers free admission, free parking and a food court. Don’t fret if you miss it this time around – the event will occur again on March 2 and March 16.

Come See About Me: The Mary Wilson Supremes Collection
January 25th – June 30th
701 Arch Street
$10

Some of the gowns on display for this exhibit celebrating Diana Ross and the Supremes weigh up to 30 pounds. Celebrate the last week of Black History Month at the African American Museum in Philadelphia. The Mary Wilson Collection includes gowns, gold records, memorabilia and rare video footage of the iconic music group.

Taste of Broadway Cabaret
February 21st – 23rd
9 P.M.
601 South Broad Street
Free

Support local Philadelphia college students at this production put on by Blurring Edges, a student-run group from University of the Arts. This group puts on new productions throughout the year. The cabaret-style show includes one song from each musical on Broadway right now. This show is free with a suggested donation to support the group.

–Christopher Smith