Valentine’s Day options for singles and couples alike

Regardless of your relationship status or personal stance on Valentine’s Day, there are plenty of event options throughout Philadelphia.

Love is in the air, Philadelphia.

Valentine’s Day in Philadelphia offers more than just the typical Valentine’s Day events of fancy dinners for couples and the bar scene for singles. Opportunities for both single and coupled Philadelphians alike allow everyone to experience culture and love throughout the city.

With Love Park being a Philadelphia landmark, Valentine’s Day in the city is always an occasion to be celebrated for either Brotherly Love or for more romantic affairs.

Although there are always the options of fine dining dinner dates, there are plenty of more options to expand the horizon of what is to be expected for Valentine’s Day from either a sweetheart or friend.

Eastern State Penitentiary

For a seemingly morbid look on love for Valentine’s Day, Eastern State Penitentiary is hosting a Valentine’s Day event – “Valentine’s Day Love Stories.”

This event at the penitentiary highlights romance, something not often thought about inside the walls of the penitentiary. “Valentine’s Day Love Stories” highlights the lives of Elizabeth Velora Elwell and Albert Green Jackson, two inmates who found themselves falling in love at the penitentiary in 1862, secretly meeting in the cold cellar of the penitentiary during their stay.

Although an atypical Valentine’s Day location, the penitentiary promotes the idea that love can be found anywhere.

Clay Studio Date Night

The Clay Studio on Second Street offers a more creative approach to the holiday with its “Valentine’s Date Nights,” from Feb. 14-17, offering the option for couples to learn to craft something out of clay while having the option to enjoy champagne, wine, chocolate and other goodies during their clay date.

Magic Gardens Tours

Other creative Valentine’s Day date options include candlelit tours of the Magic Gardens for $12, where attendees will not only get a private tour of the Magic Gardens, but will also have the opportunity to hear creator of the Magic Gardens’ Isaiah Zagar’s story of his wife’s influence on his art, specifically the Magic Gardens.

Love Letter Train Tour

Another seemingly unexpected place for love is the Market-Frankford El train where Philadelphia’s Mural Arts Program will lead the “Love Letter Train Tour.” Attendees will have the opportunity to see love-inspired murals throughout the city.

Night Skies in the Observatory

For a more scientific take on the holiday, the Franklin Institute is offering its “Night Skies in the Observatory” event that highlights stargazing and is led by Derrick Pitts, the institute’s chief astronomer.

Puppy Love

Although Valentine’s Day is most thought of as a holiday for couples, the “Puppy Love” Valentine’s party is an event that gives an option for pet owners to “bring the one you truly love” to an event catered to “man’s best friend.” The event will be hosted by Emmy winner and daughter of the late Drexel president, Maria Papadakis, and will create an environment and activities suitable for both humans and their dog companions. Attendees of the event may either bring their own dogs or will be paired up with a dog looking for a date. Proceeds of this event will benefit the Pennsylvania SPCA.

Single and ready to mingle

There are plenty of options for coupled Philadelphians, but for those who are not pro-Valentine’s Day, there are events such as the “Cupid is Stupid” anti-Valentine’s Day party at the Field House on Filbert Street. More than 500 single people from throughout the city are expected to attend to mix and mingle at this 21-plus event. The party will offer music, drinks, dancing, prizes and the chance to meet your future sweetheart.

Down & Derby Roller Disco

Another option for anyone single on Valentine’s Day is the “Down & Derby Roller Disco,” hosted at The Blockley, which will be converted into a roller rink for the night. The event, which is a roller disco, offers old-fashioned skating for couples or singles looking to meet their match.

At the event, the dress code is very specific. “Knee high tube socks, neon tanktops, headbands, wristbands, Fros and Flattops” for guys and “thighs of steel on two inch wheels, with striped short shorts to seal the deal” for girls.

Philadelphia has tons of options for singles and couples alike for this Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day.

Taylor Farnsworth can be reached at taylor.farnsworth@temple.edu.