Democratic campaigns open office near Broad

Reelection campaigns for Gov. Tom Wolf and Sen. Bob Casey work from the office.

A storefront in the Sullivan Progress Plaza shopping center, located at 1501 N. Broad Street, serves as a campaign office for the re-election of Gov. Tom Wolf and other prominent Pennsylvania democrats. | JUSTIN OAKES / THE TEMPLE NEWS

A new Democratic campaign office opened last month at Progress Plaza on Broad Street near Jefferson to organize voters for the upcoming primary election on Nov. 6.

While the windows of the office are mainly dedicated to Gov. Tom Wolf and U.S. Sen. Bob Casey’s reelection signage, the space is open to any Democrat running for state office to engage students and community residents.

“The office will serve as a hub for organizing activities in the area to allow supporters to help elect Democrats by hosting phone banks, organizing meetings and canvassing,” wrote Karissa Hand, the deputy communications director for the Wolf campaign, in a statement to The Temple News.

Wolf attended the grand opening on Aug. 28, where he “emphasized the importance of electing Democrats up and down the ballot,” Hand wrote.

Only 18 percent of registered voters in Pennsylvania voted in the May 2018 primary elections, the Inquirer reported.

“[Gov. Wolf] hopes that many students will come out to help him win reelection so that he can continue to move Pennsylvania forward by investing in education, including Pennsylvania’s institutions of higher learning, making college more affordable and combating sexual assault on college campuses,” Hand added. 

November’s election will include races for governor, lieutenant governor, U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senate, state Senate and House seats and local offices. 

The campaign office at Progress Plaza did not provide The Temple News with any specific events planned between now and election day. 

Dyamond Brooks, a senior sport and recreation management major, said the opening of a campaign office is good “to get a better understanding of who is running and what the ultimate goal is for the community.”

“I don’t think I have enough information for the upcoming election,” Brooks added.”

Some residents are hopeful the office will help them prepare for November’s election.

“We are trying to decide which [party] is the lesser of two evils,” said Mary Dozier, who lives near Broad Street and Fisher Avenue in North Philadelphia’s Logan neighborhood. 

“I do vote and I am planning on voting, because I want the Democrats to take charge of the House and Senate, so something can be done,” Dozier added. “Better than what is going on right now.”