‘iPod killer,’ desktop toys and cordless jump ropes

The new Zune is Microsoft’s attempt at releasing an “iPod killer.” Apparently it took Bill Gates and company five years to realize there was something to this iPod thing. The Zune features a 30GB hard

The new Zune is Microsoft’s attempt at releasing an “iPod killer.” Apparently it took Bill Gates and company five years to realize there was something to this iPod thing. The Zune features a 30GB hard drive and allows Zune users to wirelessly share content from one player to another. The Zune features a larger screen than the iPod and is available in three colors: black, white and brown. Microsoft is also opening its own music store similar to iTunes to work with the Zune. The Zune and its painful endeavor to be cool will cost $249.99 and is available Nov.14.

JumpSnap

We have cordless phones and cordless keyboards, but the latest and greatest invention is the cordless … jump rope? If the hassle of tripping over your jump rope is just too much, the JumpSnap uses motion sensors for a rope-free workout, while calculating how many times you have jumped and allowing you to set a workout accordingly. The JumpSnap even has a computerized voice to talk to you if you are too lazy to glance at the display. If your fitness equipment has a screen saver, there may be something missing in your life. But, then again, if you can’t handle jump rope, you may have bigger issues. The JumpSnap is available from www.jumpsnap.com for $59.99.

USBus Circus Cannon

If you have ever been annoyed by a loud cell phone user in the TECH Center and wished you could send a projectile his way, the USB Circus Cannon may be up your alley. The Cannon comes loaded with three Nerf-like foam darts and plugs into your computer’s USB port. You can then move the Cannon using an included program. But not only does it launch darts up to 20 feet, but it plays three customizable sound effects so you can blast your neighbor to whatever soundtrack you would like. The USB Circus Cannon is available for $35 at usb.brando.com.hk.

Sean Blanda can be reached at sean.blanda@temple.edu.