2011: A Year in Review on North Broad

Take a ride down memory lane with the university’s most memorable moments of 2011. One Century of Ambler 2011 marked the 100th anniversary of Temple University’s Amber campus. In 1911, Jane Bowne Haines founded the

Take a ride down memory lane with the university’s most memorable moments of 2011.

One Century of Ambler

2011 marked the 100th anniversary of Temple University’s Amber campus. In 1911, Jane Bowne Haines founded the school as the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women, until Temple acquired the campus in 1958 as its suburban campus.

The campus celebrated it’s first century throughout the entire year with Arboretum events, lectures and historic tours.

Jacob Colon TTN File Photo

Students head to Harrisburg

Feb. 15, 2011–Hundreds of students from Temple, Lincoln University, Penn State University and the University of Pittsburgh gathered on the steps of the capital building in Harrisburg to protest proposed budget cuts and to advocate for state-funded education.

Approximately 100 Owls attended the rally, and many more advocated on Main Campus, with the hope of keeping Temple a public research university.

Tragedy strikes Japan

March 11, 2011–Though TU Japan remained relatively unscathed in the 9.0 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami, the university’s abroad campus temporarily closed its doors and students either returned home or took the time off traveling in nearby countries.

The Temple News got junior economics major Erik Jacobs’ story of the earthquake, as he was in a computer lab when the first effects of the undersea quake hit the city.

TU Nation sworn in

Kate McCann TTN File Photo

April 18, 2011–Former student body president Natalie Ramos-Castillo stepped down as Temple Student Government held inaugural services for the newly-elected governing body, TU Nation, with Colin Saltry as student body president, Elliot Griffin as vice-president of external affairs and Ugochukwo Oblio as president of services.

TU Nation’s platform promised greater access to transportation services (including free SEPTA tokens and GPS tracking devices on shuttles), creating an office for student organizations, increasing communication efforts between TSG and the student body and giving students greater influence over budget appropriations.

Budget bruises

June 30, 2011­–When Gov. Tom Corbett signed Pennsylvania’s 2012 fiscal year budget, he also agreed to a reduction in the state subsidies at Temple, Lincoln University, Penn State University and the University of Pittsburgh. Temple faced a 19 percent decrease, and received approximately 139.9 million, down from the 172.7 million the university received the year prior.

To offset the continuously-decreasing state aid, the university has in turn been steadily increasing tuition for in- and out-of-state students.

Scholarships support local teens

Aug. 29, 2011–On the first day of classes of the Fall 2011 semester marked the beginning of another venture: the 20/20 Scholarship program. The program will offer 250 $5,000 scholarships during the next decade to matriculated high school students from local area codes.

In the program’s first year, 22 incoming freshmen were selected.

Shootout between local youth and student

Sept. 5, 2011–Hardly a week into the school year when a 15-year-old local youth and student Robert Eells entered into an armed showdown at 11th and York streets at approximately 2 a.m. The conflict arose when the juvenile pulled out a gun in an attempt to rob Eells, and Eells in turn pulled out his own weapon, which he was legally licensed to carry. Both fired shots and were brought to Temple University Hospital.

While student-local relations aren’t a new issue Temple students have dealt with when living off-campus, this incident in particular sparked a dialogue among students in favor of or against gun control.

Ann Weaver Hart announces future resignation

Sept. 9, 2011–After six years as the university’s president, Ann Weaver Hart announced her resignation, to be in effect on June 30, 2012.  In several interviews, Hart cited her mother’s deteriorating health and Hart’s desire to return to her side.

Hart’s announcement was met with mixed criticism from the student body and the university. Several students said they believe Hart is too transparent, and said her accomplishments for the university are unseen.

The university began roundtable discussions with various university representatives and student body president Colin Saltry to find a replacement for Hart.

Kate McCann TTN File Photo

#OccupyPhilly

October–In tune with the national movement, local protestors took to Dilworth Plaza at City Hall in early October to protest the city’s corruption, rising unemployment and worsening official-citizen relations. Area students from Temple, La Salle University and St. Joseph’s made up much of the attendance.

However, student groups, namely College Republicans, rallied against the Occupy Movement outside Sen. Pat Toomey’s Center City office.

Pro- and anti-Occupy sentiments continued for the duration of the year, with students marching out of class and down to City Hall, while others gathered at the Bell Tower exchanging beliefs.

A win over Wyoming

Dec. 17, 2011–The Owls continued to make local and state news, as the football team won its first bowl game in 32 years in the New Mexico Bowl against the University of Wyoming.

This bowl win arrived on the coattails of a harsh disappointment for the Owls, though, when their chances for winning the Mid-American Conference Eastern division title ended in November.

Alexis Sachdev can be reached at alexis.sachdev@temple.edu.