Alpha Xi Delta prepares to recruit

The new sorority on Main Campus will initiate next week.

Fashion designer Betsey Johnson, astronaut Jan Davis and “West Wing” actress Kim Webster are a few of the notable alumni of the sorority Alpha Xi Delta, which is preparing for its debut on Main Campus on Monday, Feb. 10. In addition to the sisters of distinction listed above, AXiD has 150,000 initiated members across 121 college campuses. 

Temple will become Chapter 122 of AXiD. AXiD will begin hosting information sessions about its core values and philanthropy goals with meetings throughout February in Room 200AB of the Student Center.

“As an organization, Alpha Xi Delta inspires women to realize their potential by providing opportunities for sisterhood, leadership, knowledge and service,” said AXiD colonization specialist Jaclyn Dziepak.

Joining the National Panhellenic Conference umbrella of women’s sororities, AXiD will align its core values with that of many NPC sororities on Main Campus. These values include fostering intellectual, professional and personal growth, exemplifying the highest ethical conduct, instilling community responsibility and perpetuating fraternal growth, according to the NPC. Among its other goals are to establish academic standing for the new AXiD chapter and help sisters to become leaders on campus, within and outside of the sorority.

“Temple and Alpha Xi Delta both have a rich tradition of inspiring young women to develop into knowledgeable and contributing citizens,” Dziepak said.

As part of its goal to give back to the community, AXiD will support Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks is a national organization that provides funds for research into the cure and management of autism. Temple’s AXiD chapter will support the organization through various fundraising and volunteer efforts, including hosting the “AmaXIng Challenge” event on Main Campus to help raise awareness of autism among students. AXiD members will also participate in Autism Awareness Month activities throughout April and attend the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event in Philadelphia every November.

Though on-campus housing information has not been announced for AXiD, the sorority will hold all recruitment, sisterhood and volunteer activities on Main Campus. AXiD aims to recruit students of all ages, majors and backgrounds. The recruitment effort began the week of Jan. 27 with an information table in the Student Center. It will continue with Monday’s kickoff in Room 200AB in the Student Center. Supplementary informational meetings will also be held Feb. 11 and 19, with special information sessions on Feb. 20 and 21. A special philanthropy information event will be held Feb. 13.

All events will begin at 7 p.m., with the exception of special information sessions, which are by appointment only. After the information sessions, interested undergraduate students will begin the bid process with preference and selection gatherings on Feb. 22 and 23, respectively.

At the end of the process, new AXiD members will begin the new member period, during which the 23 chapter officer positions are filled. These include the eight executive committee members who will make up the executive board. Those members who are elected to leadership positions will be responsible for managing AXiD affairs in the Temple University Greek Association.

Lora Strum can be reached at lora.strum@temple.edu.