‘Dollarocracy’ lecture coming to campus

In a lecture on campus, authors of the book “Dollarocracy” will discuss how they feel America’s government is impacted by wealth.

John Nichols and Robert McChesney will enlighten the Temple community about America’s political system this month. The authors of the book “Dollarocracy” examine the current state of democracy and offer their insight on “how the money and media election complex is destroying America.”

They will lecture on their book at the Kiva Auditorium in Mitten Hall  Sept. 17 at 4:30 p.m. Students of the School of Media and Communication are encouraged to attend, but all members of the Temple community are also invited.

Nichols and McChesney were chosen as speakers in a lecture circuit hosted by the university as a way to expose students, especially graduate students, to new ideas and important questions. Since many Temple students have a media-related major, Nichols and McChesney, both well-known academic scholars in the field of media and communications, were deemed an effective lecture opportunity for the student body.

“I hope it stimulates intellectual inquiry and conversation,” Associate Dean of the School of Media and Communication Patrick Murphy said. “I think that it will get people thinking about the relationship that they have with their media outlets, and how that shapes the particular opinions that we have.”

As Nichols and McChesney examine how billionaires fund political parties in their own interest in “Dollarocracy,” which they will highlight in their free lecture appearance.

Brian Tom can be reached at brian.tom@temple.edu