It’s all Greek to me: Rush continues and Greeks begin philanthropic efforts for the semester

Rush is in full swing with every fraternity on campus working hard to reel in and impress their new recruits while Pan Hellenic Recruitment kicked off Sunday, September 18th. Bid day for both Pan-Hel and

Rush is in full swing with every fraternity on campus working hard to reel in and impress their new recruits while Pan Hellenic Recruitment kicked off Sunday, September 18th. Bid day for both Pan-Hel and IFC organizations is Friday, September 23, marking the official start of the initiation period for new members. This week also featured the first philanthropic efforts of the semester from several organizations, which will continue throughout the year.

IFC fraternity Sigma Alpha Mu participated in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Saturday, September 10. SAM teamed up with chapters from Drexel and Penn at the Philly sports stadiums to raise money and awareness for the cause. The effort was a success, resulting in over $1,000 to be donated to the Alzheimer’s Association.

On Tuesday, September 13, organizations set up tables along Liacorous for the “Meet the Greeks” recruitment event in a sweaty but enthusiastic display of Greek spirit.

“It’s going pretty well,” said Alpha Tau Omega rush chair Greg Conlin of the turnout.

The Multicultural Greek Council will hold their “Meet the Greeks” event on September 20th from 7-10 p.m. in the Student Center Underground. All interested persons are invited to attend.

TUGA will participate in the Organization Fair at the bell tower this Wednesday, September 21.

There will be no TUGA meeting this week, due in part to the chaos of the recruitment period.

The Multicultural Greek Council (MGC) will hold a general assembly meeting this Tuesday, September 20 at 4:30 pm in room 223 of the Student Center. The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) will hold their general assembly meeting at 6 pm on Sunday, September 25 in the same room.

Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Inc. will host their fifth annual “Baila Conmigo” event on Friday, September 30 from 7-10 p.m. in the Student Center Underground. This event is open to all interested parties, including non-Temple students. Special features include a performance by salsa dancers from the Estilo Dance Studio in Philadelphia, a basic salsa tutorial and free food and beverages.

On Thursday, September 29, Alpha Epsilon Phi will hold their first can shake of the semester. Proceeds will go to the memorial fund for Mason Alexander Goff, the infant son of AEPhi alumnus Liz Sallese Goff who passed away this summer. “Our support and prayers are with the family during this terrible time in their lives. As a sisterhood that will always be each other’s support system we would like to help Liz and her family as best we can,” AEPhi President Karoline Recek said. Sisters will be positioned around campus from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. and everyone is encouraged to donate.

Victoria Marchiony can be reached at vmarchiony@temple.edu.