Kappa Sigma goes the distance at Light the Night

The Kappa Sigma fraternity raised money to participate in the recent Light the Night Walk in benefit of the Leukemia and Lymphoma society.

Kappa Sigma focused on going the distance at the recent Light the Night Leukemia and Lymphoma Society walk, which began at the base of the iconic Art Museum steps at 4:30 p.m. this past Saturday, Oct. 26.

Running up what are commonly known as the “Rocky Steps,” 72 steps in total, was just one aspect of Kappa Sigma’s participation in the fundraiser for the 149,990 patients in the United States battling leukemia or lymphoma. The walk began and ended at the Rocky Steps, and participators traveled one mile to the Schuylkill River.

Walkers were required to sign up online ahead of time in order to participate in the walk and fundraise money to benefit leukemia and lymphoma research.

“It is a fun event to do with a group and a very heartwarming experience to be a part of,” said sophomore K-Sig Philanthropy Co-Chair and pre-health and kinesiology major Nick Adams. “I personally had a friend in high school who died of leukemia a little over a year ago, before he got to graduate, so this event is very meaningful to me.”

With fellow brother John Basak, Adams helped organize K-Sig and Phi Sig’s involvement in the event. He was joined by 50 of his fraternity brothers, as well as members of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. The walk featured food, music, free t-shirts and games all prior to the jog up the Rocky Steps.

“Kappa Sigma has been doing this event for the last few years,” Adams said. “We encouraged every brother to sign up.”

In addition to sworn fraternity brothers, Adams said that about 20 pledges also participated.

All of the money raised at the event benefitted the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. The organization’s efforts include providing lifesaving cancer research, financial assistance to cover patient expenses for transportation, medication and testing, free educational materials and events, programs such as the Patti Robinson Kaufmann First Connection program and Family Support Groups, advocacy for better treatments and healthcare reform and comprehensive and personalized assistance through our Information Resource Center.

Members who raised $1,000 or more were able to join the Bright Lights Club and those who raise $100 or more could join the Champions for a Cure. During the walk, Champions for a Cure carried illuminated balloons – white for survivors, red for supporters and gold in memory of loved ones lost to cancer. Altogether, the event raises an average of $220 per participant.

The K-Sig brothers raised $850 for the event by means of personal donations, support from friends and family and an ongoing bi-weekly can shake on Liacouras Walk.

“You see tons of other teams participating, dedicating their performance to a friend or loved one,” Adams said. “It’s very moving to see literally a thousand people come together for the same cause that positively helps many of those in dire need.”

Aside from the walk, Kappa Sig and Phi Sig arrived early to toss a Frisbee around on the green in front of the Art Museum, jog the Rocky Steps, enjoy the free food and take photos to document the night.

“It is a guarantee that Kappa Sigma will participate in this event again next year. We encourage others to join and help out a great cause,” Adams said.

Lora Strum can be reached at lora.strum@temple.edu