New student-focused concession stand opens

The Liacouras Center is now home to a discounted food stand.

The Perch offers food to students at a discounted price of 25 percent cheapter than other venue options. | Brianna Spause TTN

A new concession stand in the Liacouras Center caters exclusively to students at a more affordable price. The Perch, located directly outside of the student section, is open during every basketball game and student event.

The Perch only serves current Temple students with a valid student ID. Food and beverages are offered at a 25 percent discount compared to other stadium food, while some food items are offered at a 50 percent discount.

The Liacouras Center’s new general manager, Joseph Sheridan, came up with the idea for offering cheaper stadium food to students.

“I wanted to do more for the students,” Sheridan said. “I’ve been here for one year; when I started there was one concession stand that was closed right by the student entrance.”

In what Sheridan credits as a “collective effort,” the Perch was also established in hopes of attracting more students to games and events.

“I wanted to provide something for the students that is more affordable, tailored to their budget and their needs.” Sheridan said. “We didn’t want to eliminate the students from the overall game experience if the [food] prices are too high.”

The Perch also specifically employs Temple students in an effort to make the entire operation 100-percent student-oriented. Sheridan said he was operating on a “by the students, for the students” theme.

Freshman nursing major Haley Cranch tried food at the Perch for the first time during the Sam Smith concert on Jan. 13.

“I really liked how cheap all of the food was and that I could use my Diamond Dollars,” she said. “I’ll definitely look for it at the next basketball game.”

Sheridan said the Perch is a way the Liacouras Center can show its gratitude and appreciation for its student fans. He said he’s noticed more student activity throughout the men’s basketball season and he hopes the new stand will gain even more momentum.

Lindsay Vallen can be reached at lindsay.vallen@temple.edu