Packing may not lead to shacking

wear clean shirts and pressed pants. Girls get facials from a spa, wax the legs and put on a wonder bra. Both use mouthwash and toothpaste, but should they bring a condom just incase? These

wear clean shirts and pressed pants. Girls get facials from a spa, wax the legs and put on a wonder bra. Both use mouthwash and toothpaste, but should they bring a condom just incase?

These aren’t just questions addressed
in the lyrics of “Prologue/Cantata
for a First Date.”

Guys know that carrying condoms shows the imprint of an embarrassing ring and gives the impression of being a grade-A sex fiend. Yet, they will ignore these issues because they can’t negate the possibility that at any given time they just might “get some.”

“You should bring a condom everywhere,”
said Todd McLean, a junior BTMM major. “I believe in love at first sight. You can spend the day with a person and just be really feeling them. Where would you be without a condom?”

As casual sex is on the rise, the condom has become a fact of life. Many people have them on hand as just a way to be prepared, which is thought to be better than being in the mood and without protection.

“This is the 21st century,” said senior risk management and insurance major Tom Armstrong. “A condom doesn’t mean a commitment or that you are going to have sex. If you get caught up in the moment, you have it.”

“If a girl got upset that I had a condom,
I wouldn’t apologize because I’m responsible and prepared,” said sophomore
criminal justice major Dave Cederburg.

“You never know what could happen. A girl shouldn’t take offence because I’m looking out for her.”

Figuring when exactly a couple should discuss condoms is dicey because the question implies sexual intercourse.

Accordingto According to freshman journalism major Karyn Piechule, carrying a condom is like saying you are expecting
something.

“It could be taken the wrong way. No matter what, you feel pressure,” Piechule said. “You should talk about it first.”

Sam Aleshinloye and Monfia Lloyd agreed.”No matter what, a girl will take it in a bad way,” junior computer science major Aleshinloye said. “If a condom fell out on me, I would put my foot on it and try to hide it.”

“Better safe than sorry, but don’t let me see it. If it falls out, the date is over. That’s sloppy,” said Lloyd, a senior criminal justice major.

Some would suggest purse-toting women
would be more apt to carry condoms. But there seems to be a double standard when it comes to women carrying Trojans. Some men would think of them as promiscuous
and not see the precaution as a concern for her safety. Nearly as many women as men buy and carry condoms, according to Planned Parenthood’s Web site.

“In society women are thought to be promiscuous if they have a condom, but I don’t know why,” said junior human resource management major Kristin Barrett. Marlee Berhman would prefer to provide the condoms because she would know where they came from.

“And maybe I like a special kind,” the sophomore biology major said.

For women who want to be safe and prepared if the need for a condom arises, but don’t want the negative connotations that come along with it, Just In Case Inc. has a solution.

The online retailer sells a stylish compact
mirror that has a secret compartment for condoms, starting at $30. No one will be the wiser.

Kenyatta Joseph can be reached at kenyajoe@temple.edu.