Power Hour Muzik show earns third award nomination

A WHIP Radio show featuring hip-hop music and celebrity news has been nominated for a Philly Hip-Hop award this year.

Senquetta Brittingham (left) and Rahman Wortman host Power Hour Muzik. Margo Reed | TTN

Radio host Senquetta Brittingham said tension was high as she prepared her discussion on Kim Kardashian’s recent Paper Magazine photoshoot for Nov. 18’s Power Hour Muzik show.

Power Hour Muzik, a radio show on Temple’s WHIP Radio, features timely stories and discussions of hip-hop music and celebrity news.

“We talk about everything from hip-hop, to relationships, to sex – everything,” said Brittingham, a junior media studies and production major and co-host of the show.

Brittingham said she always had an interest in radio and television. She started the show this past August and is featured regularly.

Power Hour Muzik was nominated this year for a Philly Hip-Hop award in the category for Best Radio Show. It was the show’s third nomination.

“We’re happy just that we are the only college radio station to be nominated,” said senior media and productions major and show co-host Rahman Wortman.

Wortman said he met the founder of Power Hour Muzik at a gathering a few years ago. After expressing interest in the show, he was able to intern and eventually become a regular personality.

As co-hosts, Brittingham and Wortman said their work often extends beyond the hour they are featured on air. They come up with show topics themselves, contact people who need to be interviewed, work the boards and pre-record future shows.

This year on Power Hour Muzik, the co-hosts tried to not only showcase music artists, but also fashion designers, poets, personal trainers and people of other talents from the Philadelphia area.

“I love doing this – it helps me to just express myself and my thoughts and feelings, and its just fun,” Brittingham said.

Wortman said his favorite interview of all time was held with E the Poet – a Philadelphia emcee. He said it was “amazing” to hear his perspective on how hip-hop and poetry intersect and to learn about the knowledge he has gained over the years.

“This is what I want to do – I want to be a broadcaster for radio and possibly television,” Wortman said. “This is something that I’m doing that I know once I graduate I’m gonna do the same thing. I treat this like a pre-career.”

While preparing to go on air for the Nov. 18 show, Brittingham asked for other people’s opinions on Kim Kardashian’s nude photoshoot. She said she values other peoples thoughts on all topics discus

This year the co-hosts are hoping the show will receive recognition for highlighting different talents of Philadelphians.

“We put a lot of work in this time,” Wortman said. “We went out of our way to get a lot of guests – especially guests in the Philadelphia community.”

Julia Chiango can be reached at  julia.chiango@temple.edu