Top 10 Lifestyle stories of 2015

As the year of 2015 is wrapping up, The Temple News staff members acknowledge 10 of the best stories that looked at students, alumni and the university throughout the year.

“Student uses 21st birthday as a chance to give back”

For her 21st birthday, Lorae Bonamy collected 21 bags of 21 items and offered them to 21 people experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. | Claire Saskoa TTN
For her 21st birthday, Lorae Bonamy collected 21 bags of 21 items and offered them to 21 people experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia. | Claire Sasko TTN

A junior public relations major at the time, Lorae Bonamy celebrated her 21st birthday by organizing a project called 21 Days of Love, in which she asked friends and family members to donate items or money so she could compile 21 bags containing 21 items and disperse them to 21 people experiencing homelessness in Philadelphia.

“Recovering on campus”

Conor, a 20-year-old environmental studies major, will have two years in recovery from alcohol and drug abuse this month. | Jenny Kerrigan TTN

Patricia Madej wrote a lengthy story about Temple students recovering from alcohol and drug addiction. She reported on the resources available to them throughout the university, as well as the community formed from the efforts.

“Woman to woman”

Yasmine Mustafa (left) and Anthony Gold of ROAR work on business plans to discuss at an upcoming meeting. The company hopes to launch by December. | Margo Reed TTN

A 2006 Temple alumna, Yasmine Mustafa has quickly become a notable name in the Philadelphia entrepreneurship scene by founding ROAR for Good, a company that produces wearable self-defense devices for women. Its first product, Athena, is now available to preorder.

“‘Going back home won’t be the same’”

Buddha Khatri, who is pursuing a doctorate in chemistry, holds a Nepal flag at the Student Center on Friday. Geometric instructions on reproducing a Nepali flag are part of the country's constitution, making it "the most mathematical flag," he said. | JENNY KERRIGAN TTN
Buddha Khatri, who is pursuing a doctorate in chemistry, holds a Nepal flag at the Student Center on Friday. Geometric instructions on reproducing a Nepali flag are part of the country’s constitution, making it “the most mathematical flag,” he said. | Jenny Kerrigan TTN

A devastating earthquake in Nepal this past April prompted some Nepali students at Temple to band together and start a fundraising campaign on crowdsourcing platform Indiegogo titled the Temple Community for Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund.

“‘I was going to die in prison’”

Tyrone Werts, 67, served 36 years of a life sentence without parole at SCI Graterford. Now he works with Temple’s Inside Out program. | Maggie Andresen TTN

Before working as a public relations consultant at Temple’s Inside Out Prison Exchange Program, Tyrone Werts served 36 years of a life sentence without parole at SCI Graterford. Assistant lifestyle editor Michaela Winberg spoke with Werts about how he decided to further his education and stay involved in helping represent lifers.

“Art as closure”

Former Fairhill Elementary School students spoke on video through megaphone speakers about their discontent with the School District of Philadelphia. | Elena Iwata TTN

Pepón Osorio, an artist and professor at the Tyler School of Art, created reForm, an exhibition addressing the closing of two dozen local schools in 2013 because of budget cuts. On display through May 2016, the exhibit specifically focuses on Fairhill Elementary School’s students, teachers and community.

“An effort to stop hazing”

For National Hazing Prevention Week held in late September to raise awareness about the dangers of hazing and how it can be prevented, Brianna Baker spoke to members of fraternities, sororities and sports clubs who attended various events held at Temple.

“For Latino group, Trump’s words spur discussion”

Melonie Collado (left) and Nadia Vanessa Toro are the co-presidents of Asociacion de Estudiantes Latinos on Main Campus. The group organizes events for all other Latino organizations on campus. | Joshua Dicker TTN

Instead of staying angry at the comments made by Donald Trump toward Mexicans during his presidential campaign announcement speech, Temple’s Asociacion de Estudiantes Latinos used them to its advantage by holding an event, “Why Trump is Good for Latinos,” to provide students with a forum to discuss political issues important to the Latino community.

“Temple football hosts GameDay”

Jordan Stewart raises her “Temple Made” sign at ESPN’s College GameDay Oct. 31 at Independence Hall. | Geneva Heffernan TTN

For its 300th episode on Oct. 31, ESPN’s live pregame show College GameDay came to Philadelphia’s Independence Hall in anticipation of the Temple v. Notre Dame football game, which resulted in a 24-20 loss for the Temple Owls. This was GameDay’s second time in Philadelphia and first time covering Temple football.

“Principal awarded for dedication to school” 

Lisa Kaplan is the principal of Andrew Jackson Elementary School on 12th Street near Latona. | Patrick Clark TTN

Lisa Kaplan, a College of Education alumna, was recognized nationally for her work as the principal of Andrew Jackson Elementary on 12th and Federal streets. Awarded the 2015 Escalante-Gradillas Prize for Best in Education by thebestschools.org, Kaplan was noted for her focus on providing opportunities for students and improving her school’s condition under limiting budget cuts.