Trends for the new season: looks and pieces for autumn fashion

For men and women alike, the overall vibe for the upcoming fall season is “a casual yet dressed up look,” said Marsha Dibona, store manager of South Moon Under. The chain boutique, located at 1731

For men and women alike, the overall vibe for the upcoming fall season is “a casual yet dressed up look,” said Marsha Dibona, store manager of South Moon Under. The chain boutique, located at 1731 Chestnut St., sells casual chic clothing for both sexes at moderate to expensive prices.

“The popular look for women is a skinny pant with a high waist,” Dibona said.

Skinny jeans continue to live on despite efforts to push a more relaxed look for men and women. For women, Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney are encouraging high-waisted pants.

With the support of celebrity fashion icons like Mischa
Barton and Mary Kate Olsen, the look usually reserved for moms is increasingly popular at stores like Urban Outfitters. High-waisted pants with a neatly tucked blouse are an easy outfit appropriate for school, work or a night out.

In menswear, jeans have a more relaxed fit, and Levis has a variety of colored washes to choose from. Add a long-sleeved button up or graphic T-shirt to make casual denim dressy. Buffalo Exchange, a popular second-hand vintage store at 1713 Chestnut St., sells plenty of vintage graphic shirts and designer dress shirts at discount prices.

Lisa Meinders, a senior magazine journalism major and Buffalo Exchange frequenter, recently began buying and selling clothing for the approaching fall weather.

“We definitely pay attention [when determining what to buy and sell] to the current fashion,” Meinders said.

As the weather gets cooler, a jacket can be very appropriate. Blazers are perfect for giving a casual wardrobe of denim jeans and T-shirts a stylish look.

“I’m looking for a blazer with big buttons and lots of details,” junior art education major Morgan Mesko said.

J.Crew and H&M sell blazers with a preppy or sophisticated twist. For a more edgy look, leather jackets are a must. Prices for a genuine leather jacket can be high, but vintage stores are great places to find them at a reasonable cost.

Scarves are a fall requirement that add warmth to a jacket. Cashmere, cotton and pashmina scarves come in a variety of colors and patterns. A scarf can add instant style to any outfit. Choose brighter colors when leaning toward the feminine side and darker ones for more masculine vibes.

In the womens’ shoe department, flats and boots are still tremendously popular. “I really like the fold over ankle boots,” Mesko said.

For guys, dressy oxford shoes and limited edition sneakers are wise investments.

When in doubt, stick to basic colors and the transition from summer to fall will be less painful. Black, white and grey are great hues that you can blend with brighter colors to create a unique combination. Different shades of purple and green are also popular hues for the fall.

Layering and mixing continues to play a major part in fashion season transitions. Sweaters can be layered over shirts and camisoles.

But whatever the trend, it’s crucial to make it your own. “Putting your own mark in it, that way it’s always a win,” Dibona said.

Laura Yacoe can be reached at laura.yacoe@temple.edu.

1. Hey nice post! I’m excited I came across it! I love reading about anything from fashion to celebrities! Speaking of which, I love those cute little heels Kristin Cavallari from “The Hills” wore on the cover of the new US Weekly. She was walking her adorable little dog named Bardot I think. Anyway, they’re selling them exclusively on JustFab.com The shoes are very inexpensive and they even have beautiful handbags to compliment them! So ladies you might want to sign up to check out their new Fall Selection!