AIDS Walk Draws Region-Wide Support

The annual Philadelphia AIDS Walk gained support from over 21 organizations from Temple University. The event took place in front of the steps of Philadelphia’s Art Museum, where people of all ages gathered to participate

The annual Philadelphia AIDS Walk gained support from over 21 organizations from Temple University.

The event took place in front of the steps of Philadelphia’s Art Museum, where people of all ages gathered to participate in the walk. Beginning at 9 a.m., participants walked a total of 10 miles, having the option to start whenever they wanted, as long as they were finished by 3:00 p.m. Several participants took this opportunity to enjoy the outdoors with their friends and family, all while supporting the AIDS Fund.

Transportation was provided to and from the event for those unable to provide their own.

The walk was first held in 1987 to raise public awareness of AIDS. Since that time, Philadelphia’s AIDS walk has become the Delaware Valley’s largest annual HIV/AIDS fundraising event. The money raised goes towards the funding of public awareness education, prevention, and care for those suffering from HIV/AIDS within the community. This year, each sponsoring group was asked to raise a total of $35 to support the cause, though the walk itself was free.

Several students were reluctant to voice their support once the walk was completed. Many of them said they were just doing their part in helping their community by partaking in the walk.

Carmen Jones, a sophomore human resources major described the walk as a way of uniting participants as a whole. “I am happy I could complete the walk with so many people and that it is of benefit to the community as a whole,” Jones said.

Ishamel Kamara, a sophomore chemical engineering student said he had hoped the walk would create a world-wide message. He also commented on the issue of funding for AIDS research. “It’s not always about the funding or donations,” Kamara said. “However, today’s event is of special importance, as this year funding has been reduced for AIDS treatment and research. I am glad I could be of help through the walk.”

Kylee Messner can be reached at kylee.messner@temple.edu