Army ROTC presents President Englert with first-place trophy

After competing against 43 schools in the annual Ranger Challenge, Temple took home the winning title for its first time.

Cadets from the Red Diamond Battalion in Army ROTC present President Richard Englert with streamers of their achievements on Oct. 18 in Sullivan Hall. | JULIA BOYD / THE TEMPLE NEWS

Members of Temple’s Army ROTC presented President Richard Englert with their first place trophy from last week’s Ranger Challenge in Sullivan Hall on Wednesday.

The Red Diamond Battalion competed at the Ranger Challenge in Fort Dix, New Jersey from Oct. 13-15 and placed first out of 43 universities at the challenge.

For the first time, Temple’s cadets took home first place a title that is usually won by Penn State.

The Ranger Challenge is an extracurricular activity that utilizes military skills, physical fitness, and mental agility, said Patrick Nelson, a senior supply chain management major and cadet who competed last weekend.

Army ROTC chooses the 12 most-dedicated people to compete against 43 other schools in a series of challenges. Those who are chosen train almost daily for this.

“We’re pretty happy with that victory,” said Ryan Boyle, a freshman biology major and member of the Red Diamond Battalion.

Temple won the Ranger Challenge against other schools in the 2nd Brigade, which is made up of Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.

During the presentation, the cadets described the events of the challenge for Englert. Englert congratulated them on their victory and said he was excited to talk to Pennsylvania’s House of Representatives in Harrisburg about the successes of Temple’s ROTC.

“Congress should be proud of your efforts,” Englert said as he spoke to the students.

The cadets also presented Englert with their new streamers for the Army ROTC flag and a wall plaque for his office with highlights of their victories. Englert then pinned the Ranger Challenge patch to the right arm of each battalion member.

Senior global studies major and cadet Samuel Spero was also honored with the title of “Cadet of the Week.” He was chosen out of 30,000 other possible cadets, and only 30 will get this title yearly.

The cadets will head to the Sandhurst Military Skills Competition at the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York in the spring.