Board grants elevator budget

The Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees gathered last Wednesday to discuss upgrades and renovations on Main Campus. “Of the 150 elevators on campus, … 43 percent of them are over 20 years old,”

The Facilities Committee of the Board of Trustees gathered last Wednesday to discuss
upgrades and renovations on Main Campus.

“Of the 150 elevators on campus, … 43 percent of them are over 20 years old,” said Associate Vice President for Facilities Management Robert Buchholz.

“In the last three years, about 17 percent have been upgraded.”

A budget of $750,000 was approved to upgrade elevators in the School of Engineering and Architecture, the University Services Building and the School of Pediatric Medicine.

The average cost to upgrade each elevator
is approximately $96,000.

The approved budget is enough to cover the costs of seven elevators in these buildings. The committee said about five can be done over winter break, but the break will not allow enough time to complete the project.

An elevator in Gladfelter Hall was upgraded
over the summer, but did not open for use until Sept. 21.

In other business, the committee noted that once second-floor renovations have been completed in Beury Hall, further renovations will be made. “Phase Four” will go into effect on the original building, which will be a renovation of Beury’s third floor.

“We just have to check one thing with the new dean of the school,” Vice President of the Executive Committee William Bergman
said, referring to Hai-Lung Dai, dean of the College of Science and Technology.

“We’d like to make everything that the new dean wants go with what we are working on.”

After any necessary negotiations and approval from the dean, the project should begin next year. Funded and financed by the Plant Development Fund, the program is budgeted to cost no more than $3.7 million.

The next facilities meeting will be held Nov. 1 at 11 a.m., and will focus on the Medical School Building.

Megan Kelsey can be reached at mkelsey@temple.edu.