Candidate for dean of University Libraries visits Main Campus

Joseph Lucia of Villanova University gave a presentation at Paley Library Wednesday.

Joseph Lucia, a candidate for the dean of University Libraries gave a presentation Wednesday at Paley Library on the state of libraries in today’s growing digital age.

Lucia, the director of Falvey Memorial Library at Villanova University, spoke of the importance of a physical space to serve as a public “commons,” and the need for more open access to information as an increasing amount of documents and scholarly works enter a digital format.

Lucia’s presentation was titled “Not Fade Away,” and contained slides of a few of the world’s most famous libraries, including the Salt Lake City Public Library and the Vancouver Public Library which he said exemplified the modern library as a “place of human intersection and interaction.”

Temple is in the design stages of a $297.5 million project to build a new library on North Broad Street. Lucia mentioned the project as the only new library being built by an academicism institution in the nation.

According to his résumé, Lucia helped refurbish the Falvey Library and equip it with a new writing center and math resources center, as well as lounge areas and study facilities.

Carol Lang is currently serving as interim dean of University Libraries. She has been with the university for 20 years.

John Moritz can be reached at john.moritz@temple.edu or on Twitter @JCMoritzTU.