Dai selected as provost and senior V.P. for Academic Affairs

Dai has served as interim provost since last summer.

Interim Provost Hai-Lung Dai has been appointed provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs, effective immediately, President Neil Theobald announced Tuesday.

Dai, who has served as interim provost since June 2012, said in an email to the Temple community that he looks forward to his new role with the university.

“These are both exciting and challenging times at Temple,” Dai said. “I am honored by President Theobald’s entrusting in me this great responsibility, and I look forward to working with faculty and my colleagues to accomplish Temple’s mission in education and research.”

Theobald said the email that he is confident in Dai and that Dai earned the respect of his peers during his time as interim provost.

“Hai-Lung was the enthusiastic choice of the search committee, which was impressed by his vision, impeccable academic credentials, and his collaborative work style,” Theobald said. “In the months Hai-Lung has been interim provost, he has earned the trust of his colleagues across the university and worked tirelessly to improve the academic environment for our students.”

Dai came to Temple in 2007 after 23 years at the University of Pennsylvania and during his time at Temple, became the dean of the College of Science and Technology, a Laura H. Carnell Professor of Chemistry and senior vice provost for International Affairs.

The search for a new provost began before Theobald took office when former Acting President Richard Englert commissioned a committee to lead an internal search for candidates for the position in October 2012.

Pick up The Temple News next Tuesday for a closer look at Temple’s provost. 

Sean Carlin can be reached at sean.carlin@temple.edu or on Twitter @SeanCarlin84.