First token giveaway draws crowd

Temple Student Government will give 50 students two SEPTA tokens each Friday, every week. Temple Student Government held its first Free Token Friday giveaway outside its office in Room 244 of the Student Center on

Temple Student Government will give 50 students two SEPTA tokens each Friday, every week.

SEPTAtokengiveaway_news_9.02_lisawilk_09
LISA WILK TTN Students lined up before noon on Friday to receive two free SEPTA tokens from Temple Student Government. The weekly giveaway is being used as a means to register students for safety alerts and advisories, as well as for Temple Advocates Legislative Outreach Network, or TALON.

Temple Student Government held its first Free Token Friday giveaway outside its office in Room 244 of the Student Center on Sept. 2.

Out of the estimated 150 students who turned up in hopes of receiving SEPTA tokens, approximately 100 students walked away empty-handed after just 15 minutes.

The first 50 registered students who are in line each week will receive two SEPTA tokens.

“I might [have wanted to use] them this weekend,” said John Sabbatelli, a junior film and media arts major, who did not receive tokens.

The first recipient, sophomore theater major Melissa H. Amilani got in line for her tokens at approximately 11:15 a.m.

“I’ll use them to go to a bunch of [Philly] Fringe shows,” Amilani said. “I didn’t go to as many as I wanted to last year.”

Many students wanted the tokens to make outings easier.

Senior actuarial science major Megan Taylor said she uses SEPTA roughly once a week, and will be using the tokens to head to Cavanaugh’s Restaurant.

With the line wrapping around the second floor hallway of the Student Center, TSG officers said they would need to rethink their arrangement for the next giveaway on Sept. 9. Future giveaways will be set for different times, giving students who may have afternoon Friday classes an opportunity to attend.

Still, Vice President of Services Ugo Obilo thought the event went well.

“We’re still ironing out the logistical problems. We were able to please a good amount of people,” Obilo said.

The giveaway, which will take place every Friday, was originally part of the campaign of the current executive board, TU Nation, last spring.

The tokens were purchased with money from TSG’s operating budget.

“We felt this was something that was necessary,” Obilo said.

SEPTAtokengiveaway_news_9.02_lisawilk_04

The giveaway is about more than just giving students a free SEPTA ride, though.

By making students register on its website, TSG is utilizing the giveaway as a way for students to be automatically registered for the TU Alert security system, as well as Temple Advocates Legislative Outreach Network, or TALON.

The online registration form, available online through TSG’s website and Facebook page, contains a disclaimer for registrants, as well as a small link to TALON’s website.

“TU Alert is really important and, unfortunately, not everyone is signed up for it,” said Elliot Griffin, vice president of external affairs.

Amelia Brust can be reached at abrust@temple.edu.