Fox Online MBA claims top U.S. News and World Report spot

The Online BBA also jumped 25 spots in this year’s rankings.

The Fox School of Business’ Online MBA now stands alone as the best program of its kind in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report’s Online MBA rankings released Monday.

Fox earned the top spot for its Online MBA program in this year’s rankings; last year, the program tied for first with the University of North Carolina and Indiana University.

Its online BBA program also rose 25 spots from last year, landing at No. 6—the highest ranking in the program’s history.

Darin Kapanjie, who serves as the academic director of both programs, told The Temple News in a phone interview Monday he was “relieved” when he found out the Online MBA had retained the top spot.

“Being ranked number one [last year] is exciting, but you never want to drop from that spot,” he said.

According to a university press release, the rankings score the MBA and BBA programs based on student engagement, admissions selectivity, peer reputation, faculty credentials and training and student services and technology.

Even though both programs have risen quickly in the rankings during a short period of time—the Online MBA launched in 2009 and BBA in 2012—Kapanjie said the rankings don’t drive how they are structured.

“We build the program off what’s good for Fox, the faculty and students,” he said.

He added both are also gaining popularity because of their convenience.

“These courses fill up,” Kapanjie said. “Students want this type of educational setting because it fits today’s type of student. You don’t have to show up to a certain class at a certain time, because it operates on a 24/7 basis.”

According to the release, a vital resource for the program is Fox’s Video Vault, which contains more than 1,800 videos made by the school’s faculty. Kapanjie said focusing on student services and technologies like this is important for the online programs’ success.

Fox Dean M. Moshe Porat said the new rankings illustrate the quality of the programs.

“These recognitions speak to the work of our Online and Digital Learning team, which delivers the best advancements in technology to a quality, online-format education,” Porat said in the release.

Multiple scholarships for the Online MBA and BBA are available, from merit-based awards to incentive programs for university alumni and corporate partners that enroll two or more employees in the Online MBA at the same time. Additional resources like financial aid counseling, professional development and career counseling are also offered to students.

Steve Bohnel can be reached at steve.bohnel@temple.edu or on Twitter @Steve_Bohnel.