Hart chosen as presidential candidate for University of Arizona

Ann Weaver Hart is expected to become the next president of the University of Arizona. As Temple was informed of a proposed cut to its state appropriations for fiscal year 2012-13, its departing president was

Ann Weaver Hart is expected to become the next president of the University of Arizona.

As Temple was informed of a proposed cut to its state appropriations for fiscal year 2012-13, its departing president was selected as the top candidate for the leader of the University of Arizona.

President Ann Weaver Hart, Temple’s ninth and first female president, announced her intentions to step down in September 2011. But when Hart leaves after this semester, she is expected to assume the presidency at University of Arizona, according to a press release by the university’s Board of Regents.

The Board of Regents chose her as the presidential candidate after a national search, the press release states.

“Dr. Hart is a dynamic leader with a distinguished resume and an impeccable track record of successfully managing and advancing world-class research institutions,” Board of Regents Chair Fred DuVal said in the press release. “We are extremely pleased that Dr. Hart has agreed to pursue the presidency at the UA. Her extensive background as an accomplished chief executive officer and experience in academic medicine will be a tremendous asset to the UA and the entire state.”

Ann Weaver Hart is expected to be the next president at the University of Arizona. KATE McCANN TTN file photo

After five years at Temple, Hart cited a need to be closer to her ailing mother in Salt Lake City, when the university officially announced her resignation.

“I just felt like it’s a good personal and professional time for a transition,” Hart told The Temple News on the day of her resignation announcement. “I began to talk about it with my family this summer, and decided soon after I returned from vacation.”

Hart’s contract at Temple was renewed on a year-to-year basis. She will replace Eugene G. Sander, the 20th president of the University of Arizona.

To meet with students and faculty before the Board of Regents makes a final decision on the presidency, Hart will visit the Arizona campus next week, Feb. 13, the press release states.

Hart is the sole candidate for the job and her contract is expected to be approved on Feb. 17. She will start at Arizona on July 1, Katie Paquet, a spokesperson for the university’s Board of Regents, said.

Hart will not comment before making her visit to Arizona, said Ray Betzner, assistant vice president of university communications.

Patrick J. O’Connor, chairman of Temple’s Board of Trustees, said Hart has “seen Temple through a period of great accomplishment and progress,” in a press release through university communications. “We wish President Hart well at the University of Arizona.”

Before assuming her position at Temple, Hart was the president of the University of New Hampshire.

The news of Hart’s new position surfaces as Temple finds itself facing a 30 percent­­­ cut in state appropriations for fiscal year 2012-13, as outlined in Gov. Tom Corbett’s proposed budget. Hart, in a video posted by the university today, called on the Temple community to rally against the budget cuts.

The search for Temple’s 10th president, by the Presidential Search Committee, is still underway.

Brian Dzenis and Angelo Fichera can be reached at news@temple-news.com.

For more on this, and Gov. Tom Corbett’s proposed cuts to Temple’s state appropriation, check back with temple-news.com.