International Studies core requirements revised

Students still needing to complete their International Studies Core requirement now have more options. The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies announced that the IS options have been revised, effective since the start

Students still needing to complete their International Studies Core requirement now have more options.

The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies announced that the IS options have been revised, effective since the start of the first summer session. The options under the new General Education curriculum will allow students to take classes that will satisfy the Core curriculum, which was officially replaced by Gen-Ed at the end of the spring semester.

Revisions were made to the IS and study abroad options. Any student with remaining IS requirements can satisfy those requirements based on the revised options.

Successful completion of the IS option still requires a C- grade or better in two three-credit courses approved from the IS list. But students are no longer required to complete a non-Western IS course and instead can use any IS course to satisfy the requirement.

Under the new Gen-Ed curriculum, students who chose the study abroad option can substitute courses taken in an approved study abroad experience for one or both of the IS courses. Three credits in an approved study abroad program fulfill the equivalent of one IS Gen-Ed course requirement and six credits taken abroad would fulfill two IS Gen-Ed requirements.
Students who want to fulfill there is requirement with courses in a study abroad program should contact their academic adviser in the school or college.

In addition, Bachelor of Arts candidates in the College of Liberal Arts, College of Science and Technology and Tyler Art History are required to complete both a foreign language requirement and an IS course requirement. Those students must successfully complete, with a C- grade or better, the second semester 1002 course of a language and two three-credit courses from the approved IS list.

The entire IS revisions update can be found under the announcements section at the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies Web site at https://www.temple.edu/vpus/.

Tyson McCloud can be reached at tyson@temple.edu.