New freshman class leads in GPA, SATs

4,400 freshmen are the largest class in five years at Temple.

Temple’s largest class of incoming freshman in five years is on pace to outscore previous classes in academic and standardized testing scores, according to preliminary statistics published by the university.

The Class of 2017 is expected to include close to 4,400 incoming freshman, who are joined by 2,700 transfer students this fall. Hillel Hoffman, the assistant director for university marketing, news and media, said that the official statistics on the university’s newest class won’t be published until the university processes changes caused by the add/drop period.

Estimates released by the university show that the average freshman SAT score for the Class of 2017 is 1129 on a 1600 point scale, an increase of 20 points from the previous year. In addition, the average freshman GPA is estimates 3.44.

More than 41,000 people visited Temple last year, a 3 percent increase from the previous year’s high. Since 2006, the university has had campus visits increase by half. Last fall, the university debuted it’s ‘Temple Made’ campaign, the main focus of which is paid advertisements throughout the city and as far away as Chicago.

Among new students, 37 percent identified as non-white, including a 7 percent increase in those who identified as African-American and an 18 percent increase in those who identified as Latino. In the freshman class, 79 percent are from Pennsylvania and 13 percent come from other states in the U.S. Three hundred and fifty are international students.  Local students are also on the rise, with a 4 percent increase in Philadelphia residents to 890 this fall.

In the summer, the Board of Trustees voted to raise in-state tuition by $400 and $600 for out-of-state students.

John Moritz can be reached at john.moritz@temple-news.com or on  Twitter @JCMoritzTU.