PHA project construction neighbors Main Campus

Community members discuss the new housings situated next to Main Campus. Accompanied by construction trucks, metal fences and dumpsters, new buildings belonging to the Philadelphia Housing Authority are currently in the works along Norris Street,

Community members discuss the new housings situated next to Main Campus.

construction_news_2.01_katemccann_01
KATE McCANN TTN Housing along Norris Street, between 11th and 17th streets, an area occupied by students and community members, is currently being constructed by the Philadelphia Housing Authority.

Accompanied by construction trucks, metal fences and dumpsters, new buildings belonging to the Philadelphia Housing Authority are currently in the works along Norris Street, between 17th and 18th streets and between 10th and 11th streets.

The PHA is the nation’s fourth-largest housing authority and has housed more than 80,000 people in the city.

Between 17th and 18th streets, two main housing units are being renovated new infrastructures and wheelchair-accessible ramps. The two units are directly across from the George Washington Carver High School of Engineering and Science.

These housing units will offer community members the chance to keep living in a community that has been turning into mostly off-campus student housing.

“I think creating affordable housing for people is great,” community member Jared Williams, 32, said. “There’s been a lot of talk and mixed feelings about low-income housing in this area, but I think these are going to be nice with the renovations and everything.”

Just one block from the Tyler School of Art is one of the soon-to-be housing units. The unit stretches a block long and is waiting to be renovated.

“There’s been construction people going in and out of here, I’ll just be happy when it’s finished and new families can move in,” Williams said.

With the rising costs of housing in Temple’s surrounding area, the PHA’s affordable housing will allow families to move in and establish a set income.

“I’m all for affordable housing for families,” said Janet Brown of the 1000 block of 10th Street.  “I just hope when they really start bulldozing things over and banging away, that it’s not very noisy and disrupting.”

The temporary metal fence surrounding the lot where the new dwellings will be constructed has zoning notices stating there will be different sized buildings, depending on the size of families and apartments.  There was a meeting on Jan. 26  for people to discuss their issues, worries and concerns.

“I think it’s great to have homes for more families in this area,” Brown said. “I love the students and everything, but it seems like a lot of families are moving out of the area and it can be a chance for more families to move in.”

Alyssa Saylor can be reached at alyssa.saylor@temple.edu.