Police nab suspect in recent on-campus robbery

An arrest was made in a recent on-campus robbery of a student. The male wanted for the robbery of a Temple student on Polett Walk last week was arrested early today, Nov. 18, by alert

An arrest was made in a recent on-campus robbery of a student.

The male wanted for the robbery of a Temple student on Polett Walk last week was arrested early today, Nov. 18, by alert Temple Police officers on patrol, said Charles Leone, deputy director of Campus Safety Services.

Police officers Douglas Hotchkiss and Argenis Bernard observed the male around 2 a.m. walking on Broad Street, near Norris Street. The two officers had photos of the suspect captured with Temple’s camera system.

When they saw the suspect, the officers radioed in the information and followed the man, making their apprehension on the 1300 block of West Susquehanna Avenue, with Sergeant Kenneth McGuire and Officer Sean Rickey.

Nine days ago, the unidentified male student was walking west on Polett Walk, at approximately 1:15 a.m., when the male approached him, displayed a handgun and said, “Give all you got,” according to police.

ANGELO FICHERA TTN A student was robbed on Polett Walk last week. Police arrested the suspected robber, today.

The student then grabbed the male’s arms and a struggle broke out. Both men fell to the ground and the offender hit the student in the back. He then stood up, swiped the student’s phone from the ground and started running. He headed north on 12th Street, toward Susquehanna Avenue.

Following the incident, responding Temple police officers took the victim around the area in a search for anyone resembling the offender–but were unsuccessful.

Patrols were increased on Polett and Liacouras walks in the following evenings and nights, Leone said. Temple police detectives also canvassed the area, talking with people where they believed the suspect may have gone, he added.

A TU Advisory with a description of the suspect was issued to the Temple community at 9:48 a.m. on the day of the robbery.

Following this morning’s arrest, the male was taken to the Philadelphia Police Department’s Central Detective Division, where he was positively identified by the complainant and charged with robbery and related offenses.

“The entire department had this suspect burned into our brains…it really becomes personal for us,” Leone said.

“The robbery happened on our shift, we had to get him,” said Corporal Boone, the night shift supervisor.

The suspect lives approximately five blocks west of campus. He is currently being held at the Central Detective Division, where he awaits his preliminary arraignment and bail review.

Becky Kerner can be reached at beckykerner@temple.edu.