Police release video of robbery suspect

Professor taken to hospital after being punched, robbed in his Anderson Hall office.

Philadelphia police last night released a surveillance video of the man they believe to be the suspect in the assault and robbery on an elderly professor in his Anderson Hall office yesterday, Oct. 29.

The complainant, an 81-year-old male, told police that he was sitting using his computer in his second floor office around 11:20 a.m. when an unknown assailant came into the office, punched him in the head, held a knife to his throat and demanded the victim’s wallet.

The victim said he handed over his wallet only to again be punched in his face, where police said he received laceration wounds as well as swelling and bleeding of the brain.

The victim was taken to Temple University Hospital.

Acting Executive Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone said yesterday there were no suspects in the robbery, which he said occurred in a side hallway. The initial description given by police was an African-American male, 6 feet tall and in his early 20s wearing tan pants and a tan shirt.

Late last night, after releasing video surveillance footage, Philadelphia police issued a description for an African-American, around 35-40 years of age with a mustache and close-cropped beard wearing dark jeans, a dark jacket and a lanyard.

Anyone with information is asked to Philadelphia police at 215-686-8477 or text a tip to 773847.

John Moritz can be reached at john.moritz@temple.edu or on Twitter @JCMoritzTU. Marcus McCarthy contributed reporting.

1. Where’s the accountability here? People report that they’re looking for a man in his 20s with tan pants and a tan shirt and it turns out it’s a guy in his thirties in nothing even close to that. This university has a serious issue with letting students know the whole story.