Provost addresses TSG Senate

Provost Lisa Staiano-Coico attended Temple Student Government’s first senate meeting Monday Feb. 2 to discuss Temple’s Strategy Compass, which the Board of Trustees confirmed earlier this year. The compass is a navigational tool for what

Provost Lisa Staiano-Coico attended Temple Student Government’s first senate meeting Monday Feb. 2 to discuss Temple’s Strategy Compass, which the Board of Trustees confirmed earlier this year.

The compass is a navigational tool for what provost Staiano-Coico and her committee would like to see Temple become.

The four points of the compass are “Access to Excellence – Opportunities for Success, Research Excellence, Metro-Engagement, and to become a University with a Global Commitment,” while “Temple” is the destination.

Provost Lisa Staiano-Coico

“This plan is built on your excellence,” Staiano-Coico said.

The provost and the steering committee want to ensure that the university is recruiting promising students, encouraging research opportunities, featuring Temple’s prominence within the city, expanding campus revitalization with new buildings and increasing the global focus.

She asked the senators and audience what they thought Temple needed in order to become a greater success. Students cited problems with housing, tuition, falling diversity rates, a lack of student organization recognition and the importance of helping students who are suffering in this economic crisis.

Staiano-Coico expressed gratitude for the feedback.

“Temple is a special place because of you, each and every one of you,” Staiano-Coico said to those in attendance.

She asked those who made comments to e-mail her so she could follow up with their concerns.

The portion of the meeting following the provost’s speech centered on senatorial issues.

The Senate also confirmed a new senate clerk, a parliamentarian and an elections commissioner.

Colin P. Saltry, newly appointed senate clerk, said he plans to streamline the bill process, create a more detailed agenda and write more comprehensive minutes.

Monica Rindfleisch accepted the role of parliamentarian. She attended all the TSG senate meetings last year and said she wanted to further her involvement.

The new elections commissioner will be Alexandra Casale. She said she accepted the position in hopes of increasing voter participation and ensuring that TSG has highly representative candidates. Her commission will be comprised of marketing, communications, political science and public relations majors.

The swearing in of these three positions will occur at a later meeting.

Rebecca Hale can be reached at rebecca.hale@temple.edu.