Recent burglaries could be linked

Police said three teens who burglarized a house Jan. 7 may be connected to other incidents.

Three teenagers who investigators believe burglarized a house on Carlisle Street during winter break may be connected to other break-ins in the area.

Temple Police say two of the three suspected teens have been arrested while authorities are still looking for the third.

A student saw the three on Jan. 7 as they tried to break into a rowhome on Carlisle Street near Diamond. The student then called Temple Police.

Officer Ama Jones saw two of the teens acting as a lookout while the third attempted to get through the front door, according to the report. Upon seeing police, the three fled but Jones arrested one 16-year-old suspect.

Another 14-year-old was later arrested, and both will be charged with burglary and criminal conspiracy, police said.

“I think we’re going to get [the third one],” said Charlie Leone, executive director of Campus Safety Services. “We’re going to try to interview the two we have with their families again. We’re also looking at three schools in the area.”

Leone said he suspects the third teen attends Camelot Academy on 26th Street near Master, but Temple Police are still working with the high school’s police.

The teens were identified in a surveillance video from properties near a burglary that happened near 19th and Page streets, according to the report. Leone said a burglary on 18th Street matched the method of operation as the Carlisle and Page street burglaries.

Similar burglaries span back three weeks, he added.

“We’re putting other burglaries in the area together to see if there’s any others they did. We haven’t gotten anything complete yet,” Leone said.

Laptops and cellphones were taken in previous burglaries, but nothing was reported missing from the Carlisle Street residence, Leone said. The stolen property has not yet been recovered, he added.

Leone said students were living in the residences on 18th and 19th streets that were burglarized. He warned students to be careful and report anything out of the ordinary.

“It looks like they try to go through back ways,” Leone said. “I know we had a warm spell, so maybe people opened their windows, but when you have to leave or go to bed, you have to make sure you secure those windows.”

Leone described the group of teens as an “opportunist” group who will take the chance to burglarize when they see it.

According to crime logs, no burglaries have been reported on or around Main Campus since the incident Jan. 7. Leone said he is confident that arrests will discourage future burglaries.

“I think this will definitely cause a decrease in the area,” he said.from the previous burglaries, but nothing from the Carlisle Street residence, Leone said. None of the stolen property has been recovered, he added.

Leone said students were living in the residences on 18th and 19th Streets that were burglarized. He warned students to be careful and report anything out of the ordinary.

According to crime logs, no burglaries have been reported on or around Main Campus since the incident Jan. 7. Leone said he is confident that arrests will cause that trend to continue.

“I think this will definitely cause a decrease in the area,” he said.

Julie Christie can be reached at julie.christie@temple.edu or on Twitter @ChristieJules