Remodeled halls sport new basketball facilities

Parts of the remodeled Pearson-McGonigle halls will open this week. The time for the men and women’s basketball teams to utilize the new, separate practice courts that were constructed above Pearson and McGonigle Halls as

Pearson & McGongile Renoations_News#4_12-17-2012_SamLevine_02
SAM LEVINE TTN Pearson and McGonigle Halls, under renovations, will open its basketball practice facilities this week.

Parts of the remodeled Pearson-McGonigle halls will open this week.

The time for the men and women’s basketball teams to utilize the new, separate practice courts that were constructed above Pearson and McGonigle Halls as part of a $58 million project has arrived.

Due to “added scope” and other details that were added to the courts last April, the 20/20 construction project was extended about three months, Facilities Management Director Bob Siegfried said.

According to the university’s website, the project was estimated to be completed in September 2011.

“I know that there were talks that we were moving in the fall, but because of delays I know our seniors were a little worried that they would never get in there,” women’s basketball coach Tonya Cardoza said. “So they are really excited about moving in and being able to shoot whenever they want.”

Both teams said they will be able to use the new basketball courts and facilities starting this week.

The third floor of the addition will consist of a new weight room, film study room, athletic training space and locker rooms, along with offices for the coaches. The teams currently share court space at Liacouras Center, the gym in McGonigle and room 100 in Pearson.

“It’s awesome when you have a bunch of baskets and it’s something that you can call your own and you can shoot anytime,” Cardoza said. “The most impressive thing is the courts. The courts both have windows that overlook the city, which is an unbelievable view.”

Cardoza said the women’s basketball team will be able to spread out more in the new facility.

“Right now we watch film in a conference room all up on top of each other [on a little television],” Cardoza said. “So now it’s like stadium seating, you feel like you’re in a movie theater. So that’s definitely a step up as well.”

Men’s basketball coach Fran Dunphy said that his team is also looking forward to practicing on the team’s new court.

“Hopefully our players won’t be there all hours of the morning,” Dunphy said. “It will be a really big help to our basketball program.”

The basketball coaches are optimistic that the new practice facility will help attract high school recruits in the future.

“I definitely think it’s going to help,” Cardoza said. “When you look around at our conference and other schools that we recruit against, they all have their own state-of-the-art practice facility, so now we’re right up there with them.”

“Our players are looking forward to it and we’re excited to show it off to the faculty, staff, recruits and anyone else who wants to come see it,” Dunphy said.

The renovations also plan to complete construction on four additional basketball courts, a new rock climbing wall and fitness space for campus recreation student users, by the end of March. The new entrance for McGonigle and Pearson is still under construction and will include retail space, which has yet to be determined, Siegfried said.

A new kinesiology lecture hall on the second floor has been completed in time for this spring semester, Siegfried said.

Siegfried said that the campus recreation services available at the Student Pavilion will begin to transfer to McGonigle and Pearson when the construction project is complete.

“By the time the new space opens up for the Temple community, campus recreation will be able to provide new services for those who have recreation access,” Steve Young, director of campus recreation, said.

Connor Showalter can be reached at connor.showalter@temple.edu.