Senate deliberates on new Web site fight song

Discussion about Temple’s fight song occurred at Temple Student Government’s Senate meeting this Monday. College of Liberal Arts Sen. Kevin Gerard proposed a resolution that called for a new recording of Temple’s fight song be

Discussion about Temple’s fight song occurred at Temple Student Government’s Senate meeting this Monday.

College of Liberal Arts Sen. Kevin Gerard proposed a resolution that called for a new recording of Temple’s fight song be placed on Temple’s Web site. The resolution was written in the Student Life Committee.

Gerard played the current recording of the fight song that is now on Temple’s Web site. Many senators burst out laughing at the odd rendition that is now posted.

The resolution proposes that a contest be held where students can submit their own recordings of the fight song. The lyrics will be the same, but with a new recording of students singing the classic song.

The new recording will be placed online along with the currently posted rendition.

“This recording does not express the diversity within the student body,” Gerard said of the old recording.

Gerard discussed the energy that Temple students have when singing the song and its importance at Temple’s games.

Sen. Natalie Ramos-Castillo requested that people also be encouraged to include music videos with their submissions. The resolution was amended to include this proposal.

The funding for this contest has not been worked out yet, but the Student Life Committee is responsible for the advertising.

The Senate passed the resolution quickly.

In Senate President Jeff Dempsey’s absence, Sen. Renee Gordon read a bill Dempsey sponsored.

The bill asked that the senate clerk and parliamentarian be allowed to vote in the appointment of the senate president. The bill cited that since the senate clerk and parliamentarian work closely with the senate president, they should be allotted votes.

Gerard and Sen. Thompson cited that this bill was unconstitutional. The TSG constitution states that the parliamentarian and senate clerk are not voting participants. Even if the bill was passed, TSG would need the approval of 5 percent of the student population for the constitution to be changed.

Gerard motioned for the bill’s dismissal, citing its unconstitutionality. The motion was passed and the bill was dismissed.

The allocations reform bill was again brought up after being tabled at the last Senate meeting. After some discussion, Ramos-Castillo motioned that the bill be rejected so that it could be further worked on and broken down into multiple parts. The Senate passed the motion.
Rebecca Hale can be reached at rebecca.hale@temple.edu.