Student dies after fall from residence hall

Richard Dalcourt, 19, was a first-year mechanical engineering major.

This story is developing and will be updated throughout the day. Check back for regular updates.

UPDATE at 9:51 a.m.

The medical examiner’s officer confirmed to The Temple News Thursday morning that Richard Dalcourt died by suicide.

Dalcourt died from multiple blunt impact injuries.

Warning signs of suicide and what to do

The warning signs

• Talking about wanting to die
  • Looking for a way to kill oneself
  • Talking about feeling hopeless or having no purpose
  • Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain
  • Talking about being a burden to others
  • Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs
  • Acting anxious, agitated, or recklessly
  • Sleeping too little or too much
  • Withdrawing or feeling isolated
  • Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
  • Displaying extreme mood swings

What do to

• Do not leave the person alone
  • Remove any firearms, alcohol, drugs, or sharp objects that could be used in a suicide attempt
  • Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • Take the person to an emergency room, or seek help from a medical or mental health professional

Via reportingonsuicide.org

UPDATE at 6:16 p.m.

Richard Dalcourt fell from a fifth floor lounge window in 1940 Residence Hall, Temple Police confirmed Tuesday evening.

Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone said he could not confirm if the death was ruled a suicide.

According to a report from the Daily News, the city Health Department ruled the death a suicide.

UPDATE at 1:14 p.m.

Temple Police have ruled out foul play as the cause of Richard Dalcourt’s death.

“We didn’t see anything as far as wrongdoing or anything suspicious that would cause us to think that it was criminal,” said Charlie Leone, director of Campus Safety Services.

Temple Police are working with a medical examiner’s officer who will determine Dalcourt’s cause of death.

Leone said a Temple police officer was patrolling near 1940 Residence Hall and saw Dalcourt on the ground. The officer began first aid and CPR and called for additional help.

Dalcourt was taken to Hahnemann Hospital around 10:30 a.m. yesterday and was pronounced dead at 11:05 a.m.

Leone said they are interviewing “a number of people” for more information about the incident now.

Richard Dalcourt, a 19-year-old first-year mechanical engineering student, died from falling from 1940 Residence Hall Tuesday, the university confirmed.

President Richard Englert sent out a statement to students Tuesday afternoon. Dalcourt lived in the residence hall he fell from.

“We join Richard’s family and friends in mourning his loss,” the statement read. The university connected students with Tuttleman Counseling Services in the statement.

Editor’s Note: News Editor Gillian McGoldrick is a resident assistant at 1940 Residence Hall. She played no part in the reporting or editing of this story.

Click here to see a list of resources for those who are affected