George Moore, longtime university counsel, dies at 67

George Moore worked at the university for 25 years, including stints with the Board of Trustees and law school.

George Moore, 67, Temple’s senior vice president and university counsel as well as secretary to the Board of Trustees, died of pancreatic cancer Sunday.

Moore became the university counsel in 1989 and Board of Trustees secretary in 1992. He was appointed senior vice president in 2007. From 1990 to 2007, he was an adjunct professor in the Beasley School of Law. His Temple career lasted 25 years.

“George’s role at Temple University was a vital one,” a statement signed by President Theobald and Trustees chairman Patrick J. O’Connor read. “He was responsible for overseeing all of the legal affairs of the university and its subsidiaries, and provided advice on a wide variety of matters, including corporate governance, policy development, employment and labor issues, commercial transactions, constitutional law, and interpretation of statutes and regulations.”

Moore had also previously been president of the Temple Law Alumni Association and director of the Temple Law Foundation and Temple Educational Support Services, a Japanese corporation.

Moore was a graduate of Dartmouth College, as well as Temple’s law school. He received his law degree magna cum laude in 1976.

After law school, Moore spent 13 years as an associate and later as a partner at Ballard Spahr LLP, a national law firm. After coming to Temple, he remained close with his former coworkers, including John Langel, Chair of Litigation at Ballard Spahr LLP.

“He was a terrific Ballard colleague and no one ever served the university better than George. We will miss him dearly,” Langel said in a press release on Ballard Spahr’s web site.

During Moore’s absence due to his illness, Associate University Counsel Michael Gebhardt had taken on some of Moore’s responsibilities. The university has not yet stated who will replace Moore.

The Moore family is still arranging a funeral but may hold a service at Temple, according to a statement.

Joe Brandt can be reached at joseph.brandt@temple.edu or on Twitter @JBrandt7.