TempleFest informs new students about campus

Dozens of clubs, businesses and organizations lined Liacouras Walk and Berks Mall for TempleFest last week, an annual two-day festival where new students get information about campus organizations, along with a variety of giveaways. At

Dozens of clubs, businesses and organizations lined Liacouras Walk and Berks Mall for TempleFest last week, an annual two-day festival where new students get information about campus organizations, along with a variety of giveaways.

At the cost of $50 per day, fraternities and sororities, campus departments, businesses and vendors set up shop and offered games, food, prizes and giveaways while providing new students with an idea of what Temple’s campus has to offer. Temple’s student radio station, WHIP, provided music for the festivities.

Freshman biology major Marcda Hilaire said she had her eye on a few organizations after checking them out at the festival.

“I want to join the Student National Medical Association,” Hilaire said. “I also saw Temple has a Def Poets club, and I want to join that because I like poetry.”

TempleFest was organized by the Office of Student Activities, which described the festival as “the perfect mix of business and fun.”  Most tables offered sign up sheets for students to get involved in their organizations.

While scoping out the tables, Hilaire said she found out about different services Temple provides that she didn’t know about before.

“I like how they have computer assistance and tutoring assistance for free,” Hilaire said. “That will help later on.”

“You always have to like free stuff, too,” she added, showing a bag filled with school supplies, candy, magnets and a first aid kit she picked up at the festival.

Freshman international business major Jahaira Navarro said she also felt like she learned a lot about campus organizations.

“I think it’s good to have so much information available for freshman,” Navarro said. “There’s a few things I want to join.”

Amara Ogbonna, a freshman biology major, came to the festival after moving into her residence hall.

“I think it’s good they spent time to put this together,” Ogbonna said. “It’s fun.”

Freshman film major Jozef Jozefowski said he was interested in a few clubs and was on his way to check out the athletic department’s table.

“I’m looking into a few things,” Jozefowski said. “Plus, free stuff is always good.”

Vicky Thomas can be reached at victoria.thomas@temple.edu.