TSG announces formation of student Senate

In an attempt to expand student participation in Temple University’s inner workings, Temple Student Government President Juan Galeano announced the formation of a student Senate. The Senate interest meeting, which will be held on November

In an attempt to expand student participation in Temple University’s inner workings, Temple Student Government President Juan Galeano announced the formation of a student Senate.

The Senate interest meeting, which will be held on November 28th, is intended to create an organization that encompasses as many student voices as possible. Galeano described the Senate as a place “where any student can go and represent a group.”

“It will be a platform to get out issues, with a little Temple touch,” Galeano said.

Vice President for Academic Affairs Eric Stephenson opened his door to any student who has issues or grievances with the University.

“Whatever the problem is… with a teacher or how they are treating you… don’t hesitate to come into the TSG office,” he said.

Outside of TSG, the Office of International Programs announced that they will host “A Carnival of Cultures” from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Student Center atrium. The event, which is a celebration of the diversity on campus, will consist of booths, presentations and an undisclosed prize in a raffle.

“Students can learn something about other Temple cultures, and of course there is a prize,” said Belinda Bidlack of the Office of International Studies.

Whitney Polk, a senior English major, presented for the Teach For America program. The program trains recent college graduates to spend two years teaching in any number of schools throughout the country. In addition to receiving a full teaching salary, upon completion of the program, participants are given an $8,000 grant to put towards continuing their education.

Before being thrown into the fray, graduates participate in a six-week training period where they work with experienced teachers and summer school students to prepare them for their positions.

“Make your first job count,” Polk told the general assembly.

Representatives from City Year, a year-long program located throughout American cities described two programs looking for college volunteers, also gave a presentation at the meeting.

Both the Young Heroes and City Heroes programs offer university students a chance to spend a few hours a week with middle school or high school students in the area, discussing relevant social issues in the morning and taking the conversation to the streets in the afternoon.

“If we talk about homelessness in the morning, we go out and work in a soup kitchen in the afternoon,” Brendan Morrissey, a City Year staffer, said.

Myles Aion can be reached at Myles@Temple.edu